Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:03 am 

I tried researching and I read the instructions that came with the Orange Distortion Pedal. I swapped the Resistor for the extra distortion Mod, ignored the Muff, Highs, and Mid Mods. I want to use the Clipping Mod and give it the "Marshall Stack " sound, but I am actually confused based on the instructions provided.
Am I supposed to use all 4 Diodes?
2 Diodes and 2 LED's?
Just 2 LED's?
And if just 2 LED's... With or Without Jumpers?

Also noticed that there is a 4K7 resistor spot on the top middle of the board and never occupied. My kit came with 2 of them, there are 2 spots for them, 1 was changed to a 1k for the Distortion Mod, and the other never mentioned again. What's going on here?

Clipping help, Diodes, LED's, Marshall Stack Sound Mod Confusion...
And The 4K7 Mystery Resistor Spot...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 am 

The extra 4.7K resistor should go in that top center spot--that's an oversight in those instructions. That's the current-limiting resistor for the indicator LED, and it won't light up without it installed.

As far as the clipping choices go, it's really up to you what you put in those four spots, but if you decide to use one diode each in the green and blue spots, the second spot should be jumpered. That's because the pairs are each in series, so leaving one of the pair empty makes an open circuit that won't clip signal. Re-read the clipping instructions starting on page 8, as they are very clear on how to do this. But you need to understand how clipping diodes work for it to make sense. Here's an excellent article: http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/distn101.htm

Here's another: https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/diodes.html

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:17 am 

Hey VooDoo, THANKS. You seem to be in the know about this. I was advised to email Nick in the build dept but yet back to hear from him. Sedeing how the 4K7 resistor is missing, perhaps the instructions need a little more attention. Here's what I noticed. In the diode section, the instructions say to solder the lead on the end that has the line. The cathode, negative, identified with a line, into the square pad. With that, I installed the 3 emm LED's for the clipping Marshall Stack Mod in the same fashion. I soldered the short lead, the cathode, negative to the square pad. But later in the build, the instructions want us to solder the LONG leg of the 5mm LED to the square pad. The long leg being the positive Anode, NO? Am I overthinking it? Should I be following the instructions more than thinking about what little I may know about the anode and cathodes?

As far as these clipping Mods go, is there no description of what to do to achieve what sounds? Is all of this trial and error? How can one anticipate what a mod will do? For more crunch, do this, for more attack, do this.....

I did read the clipping mdo section and am interested in the Marshall Stack sound. Being told to use the 3mm LED's. I will take that to mean LED only. I'll jump the other spots. I'll use 1 LED and 1 jumpre per series section. ABut is that what the instructions say?... Or 2 LED's in the same group and jump the other set? All options should still work as some form of a Mod, but I want the intended sound as instructed.

Can you believe this is my dream? These are my first baby steps to learn how to build my own pedals.
I can't sell them to the masses if I don't know how they work. HAHA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am 

RobertJay wrote:
Here's what I noticed. In the diode section, the instructions say to solder the lead on the end that has the line. The cathode, negative, identified with a line, into the square pad. With that, I installed the 3 mm LED's for the clipping Marshall Stack Mod in the same fashion. I soldered the short lead, the cathode, negative to the square pad. But later in the build, the instructions want us to solder the LONG leg of the 5 mm LED to the square pad. The long leg being the positive Anode, NO? Am I overthinking it? Should I be following the instructions more than thinking about what little I may know about the anode and cathodes?

Yeah, I would suggest that you just follow the instructions and not worry about the cathode/anode question. The instructions get vetted very early after first release, so if there are errors that interfere with the pedal's proper operation, they get sorted out quickly.

What is important for clipping diode pairs is that they get installed in opposite directions of polarity. This is because the audio signal is "AC", i.e. it's a wave form with positive and negative nodes about a zero voltage center line. Since diodes only pass signal in one direction, one diode will clip the positive signal (assuming that it exceeds the diode's forward voltage threshold) and the other oppositely-oriented diode clips the negative signal.

RobertJay wrote:
As far as these clipping Mods go, is there no description of what to do to achieve what sounds? Is all of this trial and error? How can one anticipate what a mod will do? For more crunch, do this, for more attack, do this.....

Different types of diodes have different forward voltage thresholds, which changes the amount of signal that they clip and the amount of distortion and compression that they create. For example, germanium diodes have a very low voltage threshold, about 0.25V, so they will bleed off the signal that exceeds that value. This results in a lot of distortion and compression, and the output volume is considerably reduced. LED's, on the other hand, only clip above 2 - 3V, depending on the LED type, so they result in a much louder and less distorted/compressed output, though it takes a considerably stronger input signal to get them to clip. Silicon diodes are in between, at about 0.6V threshold, so their clipping characteristics are in between, as well. If you want a very fuzzy, compressed sound to your overdrive or distortion, germanium diodes are a good choice....if you can tolerate the volume loss. LED's will give you a much louder and more open sound, often described as "crunchy" or "Marshall-like." Silicon diodes are probably the most commonly used for clipping, and give you a tonal character in between these two. There are some additional subtleties in how these diodes work & sound, but I won't get into that here. There's plenty more info on the internet, if you're interested.

RobertJay wrote:
I did read the clipping mod section and am interested in the Marshall Stack sound. Being told to use the 3mm LED's. I will take that to mean LED only. I'll jump the other spots. I'll use 1 LED and 1 jumper per series section. But is that what the instructions say?... Or 2 LED's in the same group and jump the other set? All options should still work as some form of a Mod, but I want the intended sound as instructed.

Yes, one LED in each of the blue and green highlighted diode spots, with a jumper in the other position of the pair.

You can also get into asymmetric diode arrays, where you have different types or numbers of diodes on each side, or stacking multiple diodes together in series on each side; diodes in series have thresholds that are the sum of their individual thresholds. Again, the internet is full of more info on this subject.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:19 am 

Who's better than you? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:36 pm 

Hey all. Thanks for the help. This thing sounds BEAST. A few mods worked in. The extra distortion, reduced shrill highs and added LED'S for the Marshall stack sound. What a sound.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:44 pm 

Nice! 8) Enjoy!!! Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:12 am 

Hi again. It's been a while since this build, I'm working on another and found this original question. Here's another.
Why does the parts list have 3 diodes for 1N4001? I see only 1 to be installed and no mention of any other 4001 used as a mod. Thoughts? Oversight?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:50 pm 

You can wire the extra 1N4001 in series with the other one to achieve asymmetrical clipping, to get a more tube-like distortion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:58 pm 

Yup, for fooling around with different clipping modifications. 1N4001's sound a little bit less edgy to me than 1N4148's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:15 pm 

Hey thanks. I did stack the 4148's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:30 am