Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:29 pm 

So I put in the 422k resistor and 390pF cap.

I didn't change the diodes yet. The forward voltage on my bootleg germanium diodes are around 295mV.

Experimenting more with the pedal, the real nasty area is when the gain is from about 8-10 o'clock, totally regardless of the diode and tone switch selections. So honky it's almost like a wah filter. I compared it to a lot of online clips of both the different BYOC Klones and the original Klon, and it still seems pretty different in this regard. The tone knob is functioning, but the mid hump is pushing through no matter how it's set.

Would the diodes' lower forward voltage cause this, even when I'm operating in Si mode?

The character of the gain is really cool, but right now it's unusable through something like my Peavey Classic 30. I'm down to mod it to really suck out those upper mids.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Clipping devices really don't affect the EQ, just the overall signal level.

Is there any chance you mixed up your 823 and 821 capacitors? Because that would cut a massive amount of lows in the "wet" overdrive signal. Or mixing up the 392 and 391 capacitors. That would cut a massive amount of highs from the wet signal. The combination of the two would result in a fairly narrow Q mid boost similar to a wah.

Midrange "boost" in overdrives is not a boost of the midrange, per se. It's not like an EQ with the mids turned up. It's a reduction of lows and highs, and then usually, a boost of what's left over.

So you can restore the lows and the highs, and flatten it out a bit. But the Klon also has a massive clean boost, so you may want to reign that in a bit as well so that it's not so noisy or prone to squealing or some sort of self-oscillation.

The 823 (.082uF or 82n) capacitor just to the left of the drive pot eyelets affects the low end. Using a larger value here will increase the bass. Something like a .22uF would probably give you a nice bit of low end back, but not too much.

Using a smaller value in place of the 391 (390pF) capacitor will return some of the high frequency. A 100pF would probably be good here.

The Klon has a wet/dry blend. After returning some of the lows and highs to the wet signal, you are going to increase the overall wet signal level, and thus throw this blend out of its original ratio. The 47k resistor is the pre-blend wet signal level resistor. Increasing the value of this resistor will reduce the wet signal level. You might not need to change this. Or you might not want to if you prefer it. But if you need to change it, this is where it would be done. I'd probably try a 56k or 68k.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:13 pm 

My caps are in the correct place, but I think I have a plan. Thanks for explaining it! Makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to try and increase those lows first and see what I end up with. I don't think the highs are really being cut: despite my fixation on the honk (which to me is the most noticeable thing) there's also plenty of harsh high end coming through, especially once that tone knob is 11 o'clock and above.