Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:00 pm 

I built this green pony, and trying to figure out why it doesn't work.

If I connect a 9v battery, the led does not come on(I have plugged in cables to input and output while testing).

Also, I have a Duracell 9v which will get warm within about 2 of connecting. I disconnected it when it starts to get warm, but it happens consistently, switch on or on off. Interestingly, I have two other brand batteries (with charge) that don't get warm. Maybe a defective battery? I don't have a big enough sample to tell right now.

But looking for troubleshooting tips, or if you can spot anything wrong from pic. Help us appreciated.

Josh ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:36 am 

You probably need to check your DC adapter wiring. It's difficult to see exactly how it is wired in the pics.

It would also be advisable to reflow some of your solder joints. Some look like they might be cold joints and some need a little more solder.

I can't get enough minimalism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:02 am 

Yeah, sounds like there's a power short somewhere, and a good place to start looking is with the three IC's. Suggest that you try this:

Pull all three IC's out of their respective sockets and plug the pedal back in with the same Duracell battery. Now see if the the LED lights up and the battery stays cool. If so, then add the IC's back to their sockets one at a time, starting with the charge pump. Check the battery temperature and LED function each time. Report your findings back here, please.

And coolhand's suggestion to reflow/clean up your soldering never hurts and can solve a myriad of problems. Detailed guidance here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

Also, if you want to check your DC jack wiring, that's covered here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52139

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:52 pm 

Thanks for the tips @coolhand and @duhvoodooman!

Turns out there was a number of things wrong.
Q. The dc Jack was wired in reverse. After fixing that, the batter no longer got warm, but still no led or sound. I reflowed a bunch of joints. I started getting some intermittent flickering of the led and noticed that the foot switch and both jacks had some poor connections. After removing and resoldering both jacks, and replacing the switch entirely, the pedal works flawlessly

Thanks again for the ideas and links. @duhvoodooman - this is the second time you have saved my a$$. :-)

Josh

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 pm 

josh_vinyl_guy wrote:
Thanks again for the ideas and links. @duhvoodooman - this is the second time you have saved my a$$. :-)

Nah, you saved your own a$$! We just gave you a couple of ideas to try. Glad to hear that you got it working properly. ENJOY! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2