Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Issues with Lil Mod OD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:26 pm 

First time builder here. I put together my lil modified od, and when I plugged it in I got bypass sound. When activated I got no LED and no sound at all. I took it out of the enclosure (which required me to remove the LED), and now I get sound while activated and in bypass but I get no effect and the pots are seemingly inactive. I will include front and back pictures of my pcb. I know my soldering is not good and needs work, and hopefully I just need to reflow and clean up some of the joints. Any help would really be appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 49IybPSj_D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:52 pm 

As you've noted, your solder quality isn't the best, but we've seen far, far worse. Still, you should go through a complete reflow as described here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188 But before doing that....

You also have multiple resistor placement errors which must be corrected. I can see several that are wrongly placed and a couple more where the resistor is obscured by shadow and I can't be sure if they're right or not. Use good lighting and a magnifying device to compare the color band codes on each resistor against the key in the parts list of the Li'l Mod OD instructions. (Don't be confused by the resistor counts there; the number shown for the 10K and 1M resistors are incorrect; should be 7 and 2, respectively.) Identify the ones that are wrong (use a multimeter to measure them if you can't read the color bands), remove them, clean up the PCB as necessary, and reinstall them in the correct places as shown in the diagram on page 7 of the instructions. For removing the resistors and cleaning up the PCB eyelets, I recommend using a SOLDER SUCKER and good quality DESOLDERING BRAID. There are good videos on YouTube that show how these tools are properly used.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:42 pm 

Thanks for the feedback! I did notice some discrepancies between the parts provided, the instruction diagram, and my actual pcb. I will investigate those resistors and see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:58 pm 

I'd like to be able to tell you exactly which resistors are incorrect, but the lighting in your photo isn't strong enough for me to reliably tell the red color bands from the brown ones, and those are the two most common colors in the code bands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:12 am 

Upgraded solder station, desolder wick, and solder sucker will be here tomorrow. I will make another attempt and report back with the results.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:15 pm 

So what I am finding is that the parts checklist does not match the pcb. It lists 7x 1M/105 resistors. While the PCB only shows two locations for this part. There may be other discrepancies but this one alone would leave me with 5 additional 1M resistors that I do not need. I remember encountering this on my initial build but impatiently placed the parts elsewhere rookie mistake i know

Does anyone have clarification on this? Am I misinterpreting the instructions?

Edit: I am inspecting my resistors and making a parts list now (better late than never?). So far I see I only have the two 1M, but that still leaves me confused about the parts checklist provided

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:31 pm 

R103 is labeled in 7 spots on the pcb. So that might be where the error is on the parts list. I will say as a complete novice this is making things much more complicated and frustrating for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:52 pm 

I believe I have finished swapping resistors for their correct values, except for positions 272 and 223. I don’t own resistors of those values on hand. The ones I do own are bigger, I hope that doesn’t affect anything. I will include a link below to pictures of my updated PCB.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... B_HV0LHoFA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:27 am 

CodyPants wrote:
So what I am finding is that the parts checklist does not match the pcb. It lists 7x 1M/105 resistors. While the PCB only shows two locations for this part. There may be other discrepancies but this one alone would leave me with 5 additional 1M resistors that I do not need. I remember encountering this on my initial build but impatiently placed the parts elsewhere rookie mistake i know

Does anyone have clarification on this? Am I misinterpreting the instructions?

Edit: I am inspecting my resistors and making a parts list now (better late than never?). So far I see I only have the two 1M, but that still leaves me confused about the parts checklist provided

Sorry to hear this created confusion for you. I mentioned this parts list count error above in THIS POST and have now gone back and "bolded" it, plus added a bit more info. I informed Keith of these parts count errors a few days ago, but he has been tied up with some pressing matters and hasn't been able to make the corrections yet. I will let him know that it's causing some customer "agita!"

CodyPants wrote:
I believe I have finished swapping resistors for their correct values, except for positions 272 and 223. I don’t own resistors of those values on hand. The ones I do own are bigger, I hope that doesn’t affect anything. I will include a link below to pictures of my updated PCB.

The larger resistors will work fine, they just are a bit more work to fit onto the PCB. Just curious--why didn't you re-use the original resistors after removing them from the board? Or did you just snip them out?

While I can't make out all of the resistors on your updated photo, all of your larger replacements look correct to me with the exception of the uppermost one (see cropped photo below). That one should be a 220 ohm value, color code red-red-black-black-brown, but it looks like another 10K (brown-black-black-red-brown) to me, though I could certainly be mistaken.

Re: the 2.7K and 22K resistors that you lack, please contact sales@buildyourownclone.com, and they will get free replacements out to you ASAP. And if that 220 ohm resistor is wrong, include one of those in your request, as well.

Attachment:
221_rez.jpg
221_rez.jpg [ 54.96 KiB | Viewed 1173 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:34 am 

Thanks for all your help DVM. I’ll double check that resistor when I get home, and I’ll reach out to byoc about replacements. I did not reuse the resistors because my I lost a couple of leads while removing them. Also some of the values were incorrect as we talked about with the parts list. I totally understand that mistakes happen on these things and they are helping me learn some valuable lessons with this skill. I now know in the future to not only check the parts list against my provided parts, but also make sure it matches the PCB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:57 pm 

CodyPants wrote:
I now know in the future to not only check the parts list against my provided parts, but also make sure it matches the PCB.

Yep, that's always a good idea. Mistakes/misprints in a 20+ page document are pretty common, but errors on the PCB labeling are very rare and invariably (at least, as far as I can ever recall) are specifically mentioned on the corresponding installation page of the instructions. In other words, when in doubt, believe the PCB.