Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:36 pm 

I just finished the pedal and I'm having some trouble. When I press the foot switch, the LED comes on, but there is no sound. When I turn the foot switch off, there is sound.

So I'm thinking it's not a power issue because the LED turns on. And it's not an issue with the I/O jacks as the sound passes through. I triple checked the switch by testing for continuity between the switch and board and everything seems OK.

Any ideas where to try next?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:25 pm 

Those are very common symptoms. We need to see photos to effectively help you troubleshoot the problem--they need to be LARGE, well-lit, well-focused shots of BOTH sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring. You can post them to a publicly accessible hosting site and display or link them here, or post them directly here using the forum's file attachment function (found below the main posting text box). If you use the latter, know that there is a 1 Mb size limit for image files, so it may be necessary to reduce their dimensions or their color depth to get them below that size limit. Any of a number of image editing applications will allow you to do this. I often recommend IrfanView for this purpose, since it is free and very easy to use.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:03 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Those are very common symptoms. We need to see photos to effectively help you troubleshoot the problem--they need to be LARGE, well-lit, well-focused shots of BOTH sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring. You can post them to a publicly accessible hosting site and display or link them here, or post them directly here using the forum's file attachment function (found below the main posting text box). If you use the latter, know that there is a 1 Mb size limit for image files, so it may be necessary to reduce their dimensions or their color depth to get them below that size limit. Any of a number of image editing applications will allow you to do this. I often recommend IrfanView for this purpose, since it is free and very easy to use.

Thanks! Here is a link to the Google Photos album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iTz5p2P4anS9NzgY7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:24 am 

I did a little troubleshooting myself, this may help pinpoint what's going on. With the pedal powered on and plugged in, turning the tone knob results in a swooshing sound. Flipping the tone switch off and on results in a popping sound. I poked around with a pencil to see if I could find any loose connections and got a popping sound when I touched the 22k and 15k resistors under the LED pad. I reflowed those without result. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:53 am 
Site Admin

You've likely just got a cold solder joint somewhere on the PCB. Please reflow all your solder joints and see if that helps.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm 

byoc wrote:
Please reflow all your solder joints and see if that helps.

Detailed guidance: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:48 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
byoc wrote:
Please reflow all your solder joints and see if that helps.

Detailed guidance: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

Thanks, that did the trick. Although I had to do a couple of passes, which is why I asked here. Must have been a pesky one somewhere. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:28 pm 

Great! ENJOY!! :mrgreen: