Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:23 pm 

I built a silver pony II in the last couple days and it is misbehaving a little bit. I built a silver pony about a month ago that is great, so I have a baseline idea as to what the pedal should sound like. At first I had 2 bad solder joints and a solder bridge on a few wires leading off-board... with those fixed I now have bypass working, both leds work, and the boost-only channel works. Also, the drive channel pots do what they should and the clipping switch changes the clipping character.

Problem is: when the drive channel's drive is down, there is still some unpleasant fizziness in what should be clean tones. A little bit saggy-sounding initially, kinda fizzy a split second later, and as the signal fades the sound cleans-up and seems normal. The "fizz" sound reminds me a little bit of a fuzz with bad bias, so I am assuming my voltage is wrong somewhere (the fizz is also a little bit "phasey/flangey" sounding for the moment that it is audible). The fizz is especially prominent on bass strings and is maybe also there with the drive turned-up, but obviously not noticeable.

Since the back is off, I figured I would check the ICs before pulling them and reflowing solder. Voltages read with meter grounded to output jack sleeve terminal.

Boost tl072
1 4.5 8 16.5
2 4.5 7 4.5
3 4.5 6 4.5
4 -8.8 5 4.5

Middle tl072
1 4.4 8 16.5
2 4.5 7 4.6
3 4.5 6 4.5
4 -8.8 5 4.5

tl072 "near clipping diodes"
1 4.5 8 8.9
2 4.5 7 4.5
3 3.5 6 4.5
4 0 5 4.5

charge pump (7660?)
1 8.9 8 8.9
2 4.5 7 6.8
3 0 6 4.4
4 -4.4 5 -8.8

Those numbers look about like what I expect, but then again I am still pretty green with all this stuff.

Pictures will hopefully be soon after I loosen everything again...

I appreciate any and all help :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:44 pm 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

....pictures does this work if I share them off google drive?

let me know if there are any other pics I should take... I was quite proud of this build until it had problems... one of my nicer jobs I thought...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Those voltages all look spot on. You should give it a reflow and see how it does after that.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:38 pm 

Gave it a reflow this morning and still same noise in drive channel. Also some squeal with drive and treble full-up.

Bypass and boost are working great.

I am thinking I must have something in the wrong position even though I thought I was really careful about that. No time for further investigation right now. Maybe I will try to post sound later.

Any other gremlins I should be looking for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I don't see any resistors out of place. Try swapping the TL072 chip around to see if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:08 am 

Having an identical issue, have moved my post to its own thread.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60199

Last edited by pwshults on Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:36 pm 

Please start a separate thread, as we avoid "piggybacking" multiple customer problems in a single thread. Feel free to reference this thread in your post, but since similar symptoms often turn out to have different causes, we really prefer to keep threads to a single pedal issue. Thanks.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:07 pm 

I finally had time to work on the SPII again today.

I pulled both TL072s from the drive side and replaced with 2 4558s and the fizziness went away with the drive down, but i think it came back with the drive up (like a fizz sound on top of the overdrive).

I also tried a few different combinations of the 3 TL072s in each position and it seems as if they all misbehave in the drive side.

I will try to get sound clips this weekend, as well as a comparison to the SPI I built that my friend has "adopted".

I assume the drive side of the SPII should be identical to the SPI, right? Gonna have a look at the schematics, PCBs, parts lists.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 pm 

Looking at the two schematics, there are different charge pumps from SPI to SPII (7660 to 1054) and the original Klon maybe had max1044...

I have a spare 7660 that I might plug in place of the SPII's LT1054... and I would be willing to put a MAX1044 on my next Mouser order if that might be what would get this thing running smoothly.

Anyone with more experience than me know if the 7660 and 1054 (and 1044) have the same pinout? I imagine they do... but...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Unclesixer wrote:
Looking at the two schematics, there are different charge pumps from SPI to SPII (7660 to 1054) and the original Klon maybe had max1044...

I have a spare 7660 that I might plug in place of the SPII's LT1054... and I would be willing to put a MAX1044 on my next Mouser order if that might be what would get this thing running smoothly.

Anyone with more experience than me know if the 7660 and 1054 (and 1044) have the same pinout? I imagine they do... but...

Yes, they all have the same pinout and are interchangeable. The 1054 can handle twice as much current draw as the other two, but the 7660 or 1044 still provide more than enough current for the SPII circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:06 am 

I just wanted to follow up on my original post. After some stress, and then putting the SPII on the backburner for a while, I am pretty certain it works/sounds fine.

When I built my first SP, I immediately tested it through an amp and then spent some time with my buddy and his amp comparing several different ODs (and he fell in love with the SP).

When I built the SPII, I did not initially test through an amp. I went direct into my DAW with headphones and probably didn't even use an amp modeler. Just a couple days ago, I tested both pedals back to back through an amp and none of the gremlins were audible anymore.

So, I should have been a little more patient/thorough with my initial testing rather than looking for problems that were not really there. Not sure what I was thinking, I am well aware that there are no dirt pedals that sound good in headphones without some type of amp/speaker simulator.

At any rate, the SPII is (finally) another success!

Next up, going to finish my NPN Ge FF and a Ram's Head BM with a few small tweaks I researched for the "violet sound"