Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:47 pm 

This is my second BYOC build, and my first to almost get working.

Signal gets bypassed clean and with no loss in volume or anything.
Lights come on when buttons click on.

Gain channel produces signal: Silicone works mostly, but never cleans up completely; LED works-ish, but begins to splutter (like an outboard boat motor) with gain at about 50%; Geranium also has a spluttery sound at all gain settings. Boat motor put-put-put continues even with guitar volume at 0 on LED and Geranium (untested on Silicon).
Boost channel cuts all signal when engaged. Light comes on, but complete silence otherwise (with gain engaged or not).

I have a suspicion that my soldering on the boost switch was bad, and plant to pull the board and completely redo that switch with fresh wires and all. I expect there are many many many many other issues.

Any thoughts? I'm an extreme novice and easily (if usually temporarily) discouraged. This forum helped a great deal with my Green Pony failure, and thanks in advance for your fresh eyes and expertise.
Attachment:
Slver Pony 2a.jpeg
Slver Pony 2a.jpeg [ 852.69 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:09 pm 

Are you sure you have all the IC's in the right positions? I can't read the labeling, but it looks to me like the one at the far right might be the charge pump, which should be at the bottom position.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:11 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Are you sure you have all the IC's in the right positions? I can't read the labeling, but it looks to me like the one at the far right might be the charge pump, which should be at the bottom position.

And… that was it exactly! Thanks so much!

Sadly, in all my messing around (I redid both footswitches and reflowed solder on the whole board), or in getting it in the case, I borked the tone knob. It now only goes about half of its travel and makes a faint grinding noise when I turn it. It still provides a slight tone change, but nothing like it did. I’ll probably leave it, as I’m certain I’ll mess something else up if I take it all apart again.

One thing: I can’t get the bottom to stay on with the provided screws. They seem to be in tight, but the slightest bump loosens them and they just fall out. I’ll try moving some wires around and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:47 am 

jamesixgun wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:

And… that was it exactly! Thanks so much!

Yeah, I thought that was probably the issue. Glad to hear the IC swap fixed it.

jamesixgun wrote:
Sadly, in all my messing around (I redid both footswitches and reflowed solder on the whole board), or in getting it in the case, I borked the tone knob. It now only goes about half of its travel and makes a faint grinding noise when I turn it. It still provides a slight tone change, but nothing like it did. I’ll probably leave it, as I’m certain I’ll mess something else up if I take it all apart again.

Try just loosening the nut some and see if that frees up the pot. I've seen this happen when the pot is slightly misaligned with the PCB and cranking it down tight causes it to bind.

jamesixgun wrote:
One thing: I can’t get the bottom to stay on with the provided screws. They seem to be in tight, but the slightest bump loosens them and they just fall out. I’ll try moving some wires around and see if that helps.

No way that should happen; sounds like you mistakenly got the wrong size screws for that enclosure. Shoot an email to sales@buildyourownclone.com and ask them to send you another set.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:12 pm 

Thanks! Loosening the nut allows it to turn all the way. It binds up slightly at 10 and 3, but makes it all the way around.

And I emailed BYOC as suggested. Based on last experience, they’ll be very helpful.

Thanks again!