Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:31 pm 

Hello,
If you are reading this, I hope you are well! I am making the push to finish my Classic Overdrive kit (my first build).
I am stuck on Step 8 (page 16).
I cannot seem to fit my wire into any of the eyelets on the PCB. I have done my best to tin my wires, but can't fit my wire in there to solder. Not sure what I am doing wrong, and I have tried it on a few different pieces of wire, so I am afraid to run out at this point. Any tips and tricks to make my wire thinner while tinning? Do I need different wire (any recs?)? I have attached a few pics. Thank you!
Best,
Munchy

Attachments:
IMG_7749.jpg
IMG_7749.jpg [ 542.72 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
IMG_7747.jpg
IMG_7747.jpg [ 584.14 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
File comment: Page of instructions I am stuck on
Ex1.PNG
Ex1.PNG [ 410.21 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:27 pm 

Try putting less solder on; before tinning, perhaps carefully remove a few of the strands of the wire (bend them to the side and snip them near where the insulation ends) so that the remaining bundle is thinner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:24 pm 

Are you using the wire that came with the BYOC kit? It looks like the wire gauge is just too big. I recommend 24 gauge wire for pedal work.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:20 pm 

Thank you both for the responses - yes, I am using the wire that the kit came with. I will try to snip some strands - I was afraid to attempt such a thing as I believed it would ruin the integrity of the wire. Thanks very much for the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:46 am 

Wow, that really doesn't sound right. I've built dozens of BYOC pedals with their standard purple wire and never had an issue with it not fitting in the eyelets. Wondering if you got the wrong gauge in your kit.

Prepping the wire correctly is important, though. After stripping off a bit of the insulation from the end, twist the strands into a tight spiral between your thumb and forefinger, then apply just enough solder to hold the strands together. It only takes a very small amount to do that, and you should still be able to clearly see the individual strands and there should be no solder blobs on the end of the wire. There are some good photos of wire prep here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 am 

munchy wrote:
Thank you both for the responses - yes, I am using the wire that the kit came with. I will try to snip some strands - I was afraid to attempt such a thing as I believed it would ruin the integrity of the wire. Thanks very much for the advice!

You *do* need to be careful not to nick the strands that you wish to retain!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:40 am 

It looks to me like you need to twist the strands together more tightly before applying solder. See this photo from the thread duhvoodooman linked to above:

That's what it should look like before you apply solder. To tin the wire, I would add a dab of solder to the iron tip and gently drag it along the length of the wire. (This is the only occasion where I ever recommend applying soldering to the iron itself!) If there are any blobs of solder on the wire after you drag the iron across it, wipe the iron tip and go back across the wire to smooth out and remove any excess solder. But I think the most important thing is to twist it tighter. You shouldn't need to clip away any strands for this to work.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:01 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Wow, that really doesn't sound right. I've built dozens of BYOC pedals with their standard purple wire and never had an issue with it not fitting in the eyelets. Wondering if you got the wrong gauge in your kit.

Prepping the wire correctly is important, though. After stripping off a bit of the insulation from the end, twist the strands into a tight spiral between your thumb and forefinger, then apply just enough solder to hold the strands together. It only takes a very small amount to do that, and you should still be able to clearly see the individual strands and there should be no solder blobs on the end of the wire. There are some good photos of wire prep here: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/vi ... f=9&t=6401
Look at it closer, I think it may be the purple wire in bad lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:41 am 
Site Admin

We did supply some 20AWG wire in some kits. It will fit. I think you just need to not tin it first. And twist it very tight after stripping it.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 pm 

Thanks for the responses and advice, all! Much appreciated. I will twist real tight tonight and not tin.
Best,
Munchy