Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:33 pm 

Hello. I tried to search for this topic but can't seem to find anything that seems close enough. If I missed a thread already out there I apologize.

So I just completed a Large Russian Beaver. When the tone bypass is on the volume is greatly reduced and it gets a starved velcro ripping fuzz when the tone knob is all the way up or down. In the twelve o'clock position the signal is pretty much gone completely.

I don't know if this is helpful but I did hook it up to a scope and as the tone knob rolls down from all the way right the output voltage falls.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post a picture asap. I left it on my desk at work

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm 

Photos are key. They need to be LARGE, well-lit, well-focused shots of BOTH sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring. You can post them to a publicly accessible hosting site and display or link them here, or post them directly here using the forum's file attachment function (found below the main posting text box). If you use the latter, know that there is a 1 Mb size limit for image files, so it may be necessary to reduce their dimensions or their color depth to get them below that size limit. Any of a number of image editing applications will allow you to do this. I often recommend IrfanView for this purpose, since it is free and very easy to use.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Turnert3 wrote:
Hello. I tried to search for this topic but can't seem to find anything that seems close enough. If I missed a thread already out there I apologize.

So I just completed a Large Russian Beaver. When the tone bypass is on the volume is greatly reduced and it gets a starved velcro ripping fuzz when the tone knob is all the way up or down. In the twelve o'clock position the signal is pretty much gone completely.

I don't know if this is helpful but I did hook it up to a scope and as the tone knob rolls down from all the way right the output voltage falls.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post a picture asap. I left it on my desk at work

I know it's confusing, but when tone bypass is "on" that means that the tone control is turned off, or more accurately, bypassed. So I'm guessing that when you say the tone bypass is on, and you're experiencing these symptoms, you mean when tone bypass is off. Anyhow...

When tone bypass is on, do you get a very loud fuzz that sounds the way you would expect and also the tone knob doesn't do anything?

Is it only when you engage the tone control that you are experiencing this problem?

Does the flat/hump/scoop toggle have any affect?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:36 pm 

byoc wrote:
Is it only when you engage the tone control (i.e. the toggle switch is set to "Off") that you are experiencing this problem?

Still really need to see photos, please.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:53 pm 

I will take pictures this evening when I get home from work to accompany this.

When the tone bypass is on (tone knob deactivated and does nothing as expected) I get a loud full fuzz (also as expected)

When the tone bypass is off (tone knob is active) there is a volume reduction of about 50% When the knob is at the far left or right of its sweep. As the tone knob sweeps to the 12 o'clock position the pedal becomes inaudible even with the volume knob at full.

The midrange flat/scoop/hump toggle is difficult to gage its affectiveness because of this. However when using the scope I can see waveform changes.

Again I will post pictures this evening once I get a chance to remove the pcb from the enclosure to allow access to the backside.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

There should be a very significant volume drop with the tone control engaged. It is a passive tone control and will sap off a huge amount of volume. That being said, the pedal should still have a lot of volume on tap with the tone control on....it just shouldn't be as loud as when it's bypassed.

The way your tone knob is behaving, however, is rather inexplicable. Let's see some pics and go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:47 pm 

Here are some pics

Attachments:
20230130_164219.jpg
20230130_164219.jpg [ 626.28 KiB | Viewed 2612 times ]
20230130_164611.jpg
20230130_164611.jpg [ 719.52 KiB | Viewed 2612 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:22 pm 

I don't see anything out of place, though you might want to double check the capacitor placements, since I can't see the labeling on those.

Though you soldering quality looks quite good overall, I'd suggest that you perform a complete solder reflow per this guidance document: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188. This simple process has solved many mysterious problems, of which this is definitely one!

One question: what does the label read on the top of the Tone pot? Should be B100K, but it's obscured in your photo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:53 pm 

That is a B100k.

Well damn. I will go through it tomorrow and do a reflow and see where that gets me.

We'll see if that solves the mystery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:31 am 

So. A bit of time and another pedal build later I got back to this guy. The caps all seem to be placed correctly. And I have done a full reflow of all the solder joints. The issue remains.

Although I did find one new bit of info. The mid contour switch DOES work and have an effect. But I am still getting a massive volume reduction as the tone pot is turned to the noon position.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

If you have the tone pot full turn in either direction, does it sound the way you'd expect it to?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:48 pm 

Yes. Tone pot full in either direction sounds as expected with a usable amount of volume. As it reaches noon the volume drops off and the fuzz becomes a bit more "velcro" like and thin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Turnert3 wrote:
Yes. Tone pot full in either direction sounds as expected with a usable amount of volume. As it reaches noon the volume drops off and the fuzz becomes a bit more "velcro" like and thin.

I just want to make sure, you haven't replaced the B100k tone pot yet, have you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:56 pm 

I have not. I have been trying to see if it could be any other issue before I started desoldering and replacing components. But it sounds like that's my next step.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. Please carefully remove the pot. Contact sales@buildyourownclone.com if you need a replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:20 pm 

So I'm flummoxed now. I actually had a B100k at work that I could snag and replace. I put that pot in and it's doing the exact same thing. Oddly enough it sounds like bias controls I've heard on things before

But the short story is no change.