Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Green Pony Noise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:45 am 

Hi. First time builder and poster. I searched the forums and did not see my exact issues so am posting a new topic. I finished the Green Pony build and tried it out before completing in the enclosure. Since my power connection is externally mounted I only twisted the wires on the connectors to test it out. Everything seems to work fine, level, tone and boost control as well as the two 3way switches. Bypass play through works as well. I also did the FET mod. My problem is that at lower boost I get a fluttering in the tone. Almost sounds like a kids bike with plastic in the spokes. It goes away if I crank the boost higher but is not allowing clean tone at lower levels. I can’t find anything visually that stands out, but I am a newb so no real confidence there…. Only other item I need is the LED for the on/off status. The kit only came with two LED for the back of the PCB and I couldn’t select an extra one in the drop downs in the original purchase. Added pics below (I think I did it right).

Any thoughts/guidance on the issue? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
DFD23A53-57F1-4508-8051-3CFB3A21DCAF.jpeg
DFD23A53-57F1-4508-8051-3CFB3A21DCAF.jpeg [ 225.59 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]
D4E3E19E-8E19-4E37-840F-00F96997CCDC.jpeg
D4E3E19E-8E19-4E37-840F-00F96997CCDC.jpeg [ 227.43 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]
B712D819-94B5-4274-A119-171B28061105.jpeg
B712D819-94B5-4274-A119-171B28061105.jpeg [ 219.47 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]

Post subject: Re: Green Pony Noise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:10 am 

dkuczma wrote:
Since my power connection is externally mounted I only twisted the wires on the connectors to test it out.

We strongly discourage this type of hookup, even for testing. It may seem to be working, but can lead to some wonky behavior. Suggest that you solder the wires to the appropriate DC jack lugs, then desolder and clean out the lug eyelets when done (these tools highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/TBBSC-Desolderin ... B08XQF9WYV and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9VLA2/)

dkuczma wrote:
I also did the FET mod.

It appears that you switched the positions of the 27K and 15K resistors, though I'm doubtful that it's causing your problem. Needs to be fixed though, and those same desoldering tools will make the job a lot easier.

dkuczma wrote:
My problem is that at lower boost I get a fluttering in the tone. Almost sounds like a kids bike with plastic in the spokes. It goes away if I crank the boost higher but is not allowing clean tone at lower levels. I can’t find anything visually that stands out, but I am a newb so no real confidence there….

Other than the FET mod resistor switch, I don't see anything out of place. The soldering of the PCB components looks quite decent, but the solder joints for the switches, pot legs and several of the wire connections are rather starved for solder. I'd go through all of those and add a bit more solder--you want to completely cover the solder pad on the PCB, leave no voids in the eyelets, and have a shiny, cone-shaped joint when you're through. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd recommend a complete pedal reflow, per this process: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

dkuczma wrote:
Only other item I need is the LED for the on/off status. The kit only came with two LED for the back of the PCB and I couldn’t select an extra one in the drop downs in the original purchase.

Contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and they'll get that missing LED out to you right away.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

Post subject: Re: Green Pony Noise
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

What power supply are you using? Unless it's a quality power supply that is specifically meant for guitar effects, that's probably your problem.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com