Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:43 pm 

I'm working on this Shredder pedal kit.
The instructions say to remove the pot covers. I cut them off, but it sure seems like the now exposed rear of the pots will short against the soldered leads on the board.
Before I continue, can somebody help me out?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:06 pm 

They shouldn't short as long as you trim the leads back closely enough. When the board is installed flat and held in place by the solder on the pot pins, it should have enough clearance. You can use electrical tape or (my preference) double sided foam tape on the backs of the pots if you're concerned. Or in a pinch, you can slide a thick piece of card stock like a business card in between the pots and the PCB.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:11 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
They shouldn't short as long as you trim the leads back closely enough. When the board is installed flat and held in place by the solder on the pot pins, it should have enough clearance. You can use electrical tape or (my preference) double sided foam tape on the backs of the pots if you're concerned. Or in a pinch, you can slide a thick piece of card stock like a business card in between the pots and the PCB.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm sitting here wondering why they had me cut those covers off.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:32 pm 

czgunner wrote:
I'm sitting here wondering why they had me cut those covers off.

There's not enough space between the three holes in the bottom row for the pots to fit with the extra width added by the covers. The Shredder was designed before the covered pots were commonly used in BYOC kits.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:22 pm 

Another question...Does the switch require jumpers? That's what it looks like in the diagram, but I want to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:30 pm 

czgunner wrote:
Does the switch require jumpers? That's what it looks like in the diagram, but I want to be sure.

Yup, two of 'em--3/6 and 4/9.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:32 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
czgunner wrote:
Does the switch require jumpers? That's what it looks like in the diagram, but I want to be sure.

Yup, two of 'em--3/6 and 4/9.

Awesome, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:42 pm 

Does anybody have a recommendation for an A/C adapter to power this pedal? With the switch off, it killed a new 9volt over night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:11 pm 

Contrary to what many guitar players think, switching to bypass mode on the footswitch does NOT turn off the power to the effect circuit! The pedal will remain energized as long as a power source is connected and there's a cable in the input jack to provide the needed ground path. The footswitch only serves to switch the effect circuit in (engaged) and out (bypassed) of your signal path, and to turn on the indicator LED when the pedal is engaged. So if you're going to power the pedal with a battery, pull the cable out of the input jack when you're done playing. This will preserve the battery, since it grounds through the sleeve of the input cable; no ground connection to complete the circuit = no drain on the battery.

That said, if you prefer to use an AC adapter to power the pedal, the Boss PSA-120S is a popular and reliable unit: https://www.amazon.com/R-O-L-PSA-120S-A ... B0012BPMHW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:13 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Contrary to what many guitar players think, switching to bypass mode on the footswitch does NOT turn off the power to the effect circuit! The pedal will remain energized as long as a power source is connected and there's a cable in the input jack to provide the needed ground path. The footswitch only serves to switch the effect circuit in (engaged) and out (bypassed) of your signal path, and to turn on the indicator LED when the pedal is engaged. So if you're going to power the pedal with a battery, pull the cable out of the input jack when you're done playing. This will preserve the battery, since it grounds through the sleeve of the input cable; no ground connection to complete the circuit = no drain on the battery.

That said, if you prefer to use an AC adapter to power the pedal, the Boss PSA-120S is a popular and reliable unit: https://www.amazon.com/R-O-L-PSA-120S-A ... B0012BPMHW

Thank you very much!