Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:16 pm 

Blue Overdrive Kit.

9 lug stomp switch wiring instruction says "Connect a wire to LUG 4 that also jumpers to LUG 9". Photograph clearly shows wire connected between LUG 2 jumped to LUG 9. On the next page the drawing clearly shows the jumper running from the circuit board hole 4 to LUG 2 jumped to LUG 9. The written instructions do not seem to match the visual documentation.

I built the kit according to the photograph and not the instructions. The pedal powers up (at least the LED lights). The pedal passes signal in bypass mode. When turned on the LED lights, but there is no sound.

I suppose I could try to move jumper from lug 2 (as pictured in documentation) to LUG 4 as stated in written instructions. But I don't want to risk damage to anything.

Before I try and trouble shoot the whole thing I thought I would ask to see if anyone else found this problem. I have an oscilloscope, DVM, signal generator and so on to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:53 pm 

There's a diagram in the instructions under the heading "FOOT SWITCH SOLDER LUG DESIGNATIONS" which shows how the lugs on the foot switch are numbered, which is like this:

Code:
1 4 7
2 5 8
3 6 9

It seems to me that the instructions and the pictures are consistent: the top lug of the middle column (4) is jumpered to the bottom lug of the right column (9), and lug 4 is connected to the through-hole labelled 4 on the PCB.

It sounds like you followed the diagrams, so your switch wiring should be correct. I'm sure the moderators will be along shortly to ask for more information to help troubleshoot the problem, but if you want to get a head start, posting some clear well-lit photographs of your build (ideally both sides of the PCB and all wiring) will be really useful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:09 am 

Thanks for your response. It helped a lot... You are right. I numbered the lugs incorrectly. The instructions do match the drawings. But I did assemble the unit according to the drawings, so I "accidently" assembled it correctly... still no sound.

I guess I will have to trouble shoot the whole thing. I must have made another mistake somewhere. I wonder what the common failure modes might be?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:56 am 

Please start by posting some good photos of your build, since these are critically important in helping us to help you. They need to be LARGE, well-lit, well-focused shots of BOTH sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring. You can post them to a publicly accessible hosting site and display or link them here, or post them directly here using the forum's file attachment function (found below the main posting text box). If you use the latter, be aware that there is a 1 Mb size limit for image files, so it may be necessary to reduce their dimensions or their color depth to get them below that size limit. Any of a number of image editing applications will allow you to do this. I often recommend IrfanView for this purpose, since it is free and very easy to use.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2