Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm 

So this is a first project like this for me. My solder skills are not that great. The only major issue I ran into was I mixed up the 12k and 22k resistors and when desoldering the 22K I rendered it useless. I was unable to find the exact replacement, so I got the alternate shown on the list (see the one carbon comp 4 band beige colored). Once I got the pedal assembled, I connected a battery, put cabled ends into the intput/output jacks and clicked each button individually and the lights cycled on and off fine. Clicked both and they both came on and went out. At this point I'm thinking success but not so fast. I removed my existing boost pedal and plugged in the power supply for it (9vdc tip negative) into the silver pony 2 - plugged in the cables, clicked the foot switch button and got a blinking light. No sound when either side is switched on with blinking LEDs but with both switches off and no lights bypass works fine. I did a search on here and found a similar issue that ended up being a charge pump IC. I ordered all new ICs JIC and get the same issue. Other than the resistor issue the only thing I can think of is I melted a couple parts getting the iron too close and upon further review 2 of the IC sockets are not in the same direction as the instructions. I have attached a photo - try and look past the poor quality of my soldering and assembly - what can I do to get it working?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:13 am 

BigKahuna wrote:
...and upon further review 2 of the IC sockets are not in the same direction as the instructions.

The sockets have no function other than to hold the IC's in the circuit without the need for soldering and for ease of removal. The notch in one end is just there as a visual clue for which way to insert the IC, assuming that you've installed the socket per the PCB silkscreen. But the socket will do its job in either orientation.

What IS critically important is that the IC's are oriented correctly, i.e. with the notch and/or circular mark corresponding to the notch on the outline on the silkscreen. Consequently, two of your TL072's are mounted backwards in that photo--the one on the left and the one in the middle. Swap those around and see where you're at.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:38 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
BigKahuna wrote:
...and upon further review 2 of the IC sockets are not in the same direction as the instructions.

The sockets have no function other than to hold the IC's in the circuit without the need for soldering and for ease of removal. The notch in one end is just there as a visual clue for which way to insert the IC, assuming that you've installed the socket per the PCB silkscreen. But the socket will do its job in either orientation.

What IS critically important is that the IC's are oriented correctly, i.e. with the notch and/or circular mark corresponding to the notch on the outline on the silkscreen. Consequently, two of your TL072's are mounted backwards in that photo--the one on the left and the one in the middle. Swap those around and see where you're at.

That makes perfect sense, but I learned long ago when messing with things I have no experience at take nothing for granted. I flipped those 2 T072's around and that fixed it. Thanks so much for your help. What an awesome feeling!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:01 pm 

Great! ENJOY!! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2