Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:54 pm 

Can someone tell me if this is possible to do? To be able to include MOSFET, LED and the normal clipping using an on/off/on switch?

A diagram would be kind of cool to see, too.

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:49 pm 

I don't think so. The off position lifts the diodes. You can use an on/on/on switch to do what you want. ONe of the recent threads has a diagram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:46 pm 

dap9 wrote:
You can use an on/on/on switch to do what you want.

Dap is correct. You need to get a DPDT on/on/on switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:04 pm 

Ok,

Is there anything I need to pay close attention to while doing this mod? How should it be wired up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:57 pm 

If you use a on/on/on switch you won't get the diode lift mode. Try a rotary switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:05 pm 

Diode lift is basically taking the diodes out of the circuit? What kind of tone does that give?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:10 pm 

It gives you a clean boost with a ton of volume. Some guys on here love it. Pushes a tube amp nicely. Personally, I can leave it as I have a dedicated booster already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 pm 

Wow, that is a pretty big clean boost. It does sound great in front of a tube amp though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:52 pm 

Right now, I have the TL082 in my build. I find that w/ the diode lift, I get more of a "gainy" distortion w/ the diode lift. It's been in there for about a month now so I'm gonna put the JRC chip in there soon. I tried a bunch of different opamps and, for me, it boiled down to the JRC and the TL082. The JRC was less distorted in the lift mode.

I've recently acquired a Fulltone OCD and that thing absolutely rules. Srsly, it pwns! I have the parts for another screamer build (GGG PCB) and I'll be doing the Landgraff mod, but w/ MOSFETs insted of the LEDs. The LEDs are great, but kinda harsh. I just want to be able to bridge the gap btw. the OCD and the 808.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 am 

hey dap, post how that goes man. i am def interested in any tone differences between the mosfetted screamer and the OCD (may save me shelling out for an OCD haha)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:38 am 

Culture is right you just use an on/on/on switch. I reread your post and realised you only wanted three options. Easy schmeasy!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:22 am 

Gridlock wrote:
hey dap, post how that goes man. i am def interested in any tone differences between the mosfetted screamer and the OCD (may save me shelling out for an OCD haha)

will do. I started "mapping" it out last night in terms of the mods and varying values I want to try out. It's really a crazy thing, that OCD. I was a/b'ing it w/ the Screamer that I built at practice the other night. The Screamer is great and can get really close to the OCD, but there are definitely enough subtle differences. On my Screamer, I have the different clipping options (Very assym. clipping/lift/yellow LEDS) and then I have a switch to go btw. the stock distortion and the max distortion). The Screamer can't capture the bass response of the OCD (at least the way that I have it set up).

Right now, my biggest problem is I don't know how to hook up the MOSFETs to the GGG board. The GGG PCB has the clipping mod built in (there are holes for the LEDs and diodes and the corresponding DPDT switch). It's a great idea, but I can't figure out how to wire up the MOSFETs to those holes. I posted this question on some other forums, so hopefully that will get me some answers.

I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 am 

I would like to do this Mosfet MOD. Might anyone have a diagram ?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:26 am 

Regarding using MosFETs, etc, as clippers, read this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7904

Stephen pretty much lays it down in that thread.

And if you still want more, read this:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6966

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 pm 

Gridlock wrote:

OK, sorry for the delay. I built the GGG 808 clone and put in some MOSFETs. I first went w/ the BS170s and then the IRF510. I wanted to like the BS170s, but the IRF510 were less nasaly and warmer. I recorded a clip that A/B'd the OCD. So I'll post that clip. The OCD is first, then the GGG. Overall the OCD is better, but between the two settings, I got pretty damn close!!!!

http://www.balderdashrecords.com/tunes/OCD%20GGG%20comparison.mp3

I dissected my OCD V3 (it wasn't gooped) and noticed that Fuller is using a BS250 in the circuit. I don't know enough to reverse engineer it, but I did notice that the IC he uses is the TLO82, so I put that in mine.

So far my favorite combo is the Very Asym and Mosfets. The LEDs are nice, but a little harsh to my ears. I also enjoy the min/max distortion mod. I've done it w/ a toggle switch and in another pedal I just put in the resistors and a 1M pot. So I think my ideal pedal will have the Very Asym/MOSFET/Diode lift going and I have to figure if I want the min/max distortion as a toggle or "hard wired".

Lemme know what you think of the clip. (I have some BS250s en route)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:38 pm 

dap9 wrote:
I don't know enough to reverse engineer it, but I did notice that the IC he uses is the TLO82, so I put that in mine.

Interesting. I didn't know Fuller used that chip, but in my testing of the Screamer circuit, I preferred it over the 4558s and a couple of other chips. It's a little dirtier, it seems, in a warm sort of way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:15 pm 

cheers for the post Dap.

my ears are uncultured to the sounds of an ocd and also a screamer w/mosfets. so to my untrained ear, if you will, i couldnt really tell at what point you switched the pedals. ie pretty damn close indeed! wonder how it'll compare to my 5e3 tweed im waiting to arrive...