Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 pm 

Hi everyone,

I finished my first clone yesterday and I love it. It's built to Distortion+ specs. with asymmetrical clipping and works fine.

Today I had the chance to compare it with my guitar teacher's Distortion collection. My 250+ was able to cope with his stomp boxes but we both felt that the 250+ has to much of the high frequencies. It's like the 250 screams into the ear. So I want to mod it now. I already searched in the forum and found a mod that should cut some of the highs.
Quote:
OR you could replace the .001 cap on the bottom right corner of the board for a bigger one to roll off some of the shrill highs...I'd say go with something around .02

the bigger the cap the more highs are rolled off... this will smooth out the sound very well.

If you do the above suggested mod it will increase the bass but the shrill highs will still be present... so you would have a muddy and shrill pedal and no one likes that.

If you can find a .06 or a .08 uf cap try it in place of the .047 cap and then try a .01.

the slightly higher bass cap will let just enough bass through and the .01 will cut just enough highs... if you think its cutting too many highs you can try a smaller value in either position.

I would like to have a toggle switch to choose between two or three "lowpass filters". Is it possible to cascade capacitors like resistors?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm 

I'll assume you don't want the math. Caps add up a bit differently. The are additive in parallel in series the work like resistors in parallel so for any 2 caps the total equals the product over the sum(not that this only works for any two). You might want to look at a tone knob though theres an 'add a tone knob to any pedal' thing floating around which might be more what your looking for. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:45 pm 

Another thing you could do, albeit exspensive, is to run an EQ after the pedal. This is what Jerry Garcia did with his Distortion+ for many, many years and he got a much improved tone with it this way :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:12 pm 

Thanks for your answers. :) I tried the 0.01uf cap today and it seems to work fine. But my little amp at home isn't a real reference so I have to wait 'till thursday to tried it with some reference amps (Vox AC30, Hughes and Kettner TriAmp and a Bassman). I will tell you how it sounds.

best regards

Michael