Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

If you are not happy with the set of transistors that were originally supplied with your kit, you may return them for a new set. They must be uncut and unsoldered. So take advantage of the sockets and test the pedal first before you do anything permanent to the transistors. Email first to get a R.A. Please reply to your order confirmation email if possible.

Some things to consider first:

1. Are you testing the pedal at room temperature? We test them at room temp. Germanium transistors sound their best at room temp.
2. Do you know what your fuzz is supposed to sound like? I know this is a stupid question and may be insulting for some, but many people have no idea what a real fuzz is really supposed to sound like and tend to think something is wrong with their build when it doesn't sound like Jimi/Jimmy in a box. I know I was taken aback the first time I plugged into a Fuzz Face.
3. Are you sure your pedal is working properly...aside from the transistors? The best thing to do is install some cheap common NPN silicon transistors into the circuit like MPSA18 or 2N3904. They will be a bit unruly and squeally with the fuzz and guitar volume knobs all the way up, but they will let you know that your pedal is working.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:33 pm 

byoc wrote:
If you are not happy with the set of transistors that were originally supplied with your kit, you may return them for a new set. They must be uncut and unsoldered. So take advantage of the sockets and test the pedal first before you do anything permanent to the transistors. Email first to get a R.A. Please reply to your order confirmation email if possible.

Some things to consider first:

1. Are you testing the pedal at room temperature? We test them at room temp. Germanium transistors sound their best at room temp.
2. Do you know what your fuzz is supposed to sound like? I know this is a stupid question and may be insulting for some, but many people have no idea what a real fuzz is really supposed to sound like and tend to think something is wrong with their build when it doesn't sound like Jimi/Jimmy in a box. I know I was taken aback the first time I plugged into a Fuzz Face.
3. Are you sure your pedal is working properly...aside from the transistors? The best thing to do is install some cheap common NPN silicon transistors into the circuit like MPSA18 or 2N3904. They will be a bit unruly and squeally with the fuzz and guitar volume knobs all the way up, but they will let you know that your pedal is working.

I posted another topic relating to a transistor problem. I am stumped.
I ended up socketing the transistors as soon as the build was completed in to their respective Q1 to Q3.
It sounded great and there was absolutely no issue.

When I first plugged in the led did not light. I didn't even know it was on because the pedal was so quiet. Only when I strummed I realized it was working.
I played for about 5 minutes as I couldn't put the guitar down. It sounded amazing with no noise issues or anything.
So i said yes the transistors are working great. My last build of the ESV fuzz the transistors were bad and I ended up ordering from ebay another set and now there is no noise problem. So I was relieved that these set of transistors were good.

After re installing the LED correctly I clipped the leads on the transistors.
Put them back into the sockets (with the pedal turned off of course and nothing plugged in. Also I did not desolder or resolder the LED with the transistors were in their sockets. I took them out before doing the LED change.) Now there was noise. A lot of noise. I tried taking Q2 out and put it back in. No noise for the first minute. Then the moise would "crawl" back while playing.

I am really stumped because i did everything as per the instructions (clipped leads after knowing it was working fine). I tried putting in an AC128 I had lying around that was "good" and it worked great with no noise, but sounded different because it had lower gain (HFE).