Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:03 am 

Hey so this is my first build and basically I'm just wondering if something is wrong, cause I can't be sure.
The Leeds has absolutely no boost to my clean volume when engaged (yes the knob is all the way up) and in fact may be slightly below unity.

Is this normal for this pedal?
If so has anyone come up with any interesting mods to make it louder?
If not could it simply be a bad solder joint or something more specific?

Any help you could give would be amazing. Thank you guys so much for all the work you put in to this forum. You're all saints.
Let me know if I should post pictures, wasn't sure if it was appropriate since my pedal is working properly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:53 pm 

Yeah something's wrong for sure - it's LOUD when working properly.

Yes, clear high res photos are always a good place to start. Also, transistors oriented backwards will exhibit that symptom. Make sure they are in properly and seated well (if you used sockets)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:00 pm 

Not sure if it was your thread on Reddit, but if it wasn't, here are a few ways I suggested to go about this:

"This pedal should be VERY loud when engaged. Post your transistor voltages so we can make sure there isn't something amiss. You can also audio probe the circuit to see if you're losing a lot of signal when it's on.

That said, there are two decent ways to get extra volume without upsetting things too much. First, you can grab a 22uF cap and solder it across R28 (the 1K on the emitter of the last transistor). This will bump up the AC gain without changing the transistor's bias. It will be a pretty big increase in volume, but inasmuch as it's last in the circuit, you might also get more noise.

You can also change R27 to something larger, like 100K. This will change the biasing, but it's forming a voltage divider with R26 (which is several times larger) and loading the balance pot (which is a heavy load when the balance isn't maxed). Increasing it might give you a small increase. It might change the feel a bit, too."

There's no way for anyone to know what's wrong with your build without the same information required to diagnose any non-working build. We need to see it (to make sure there aren't any wrong components), you need to post the voltages on each pin of every transistor, and it never hurts to build and use an audio probe to figure out where you are losing signal to help narrow it down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:33 am 

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late response work has been a killer lately.

So I did my best testing the transistors with the multimeter. They all seem to come out around just below -7 or OL as expected except for one.

On the bottom most left transistor, closest to the 100n cap in the picture I'm posting (sorry I cannot read schematics :( ) when I measure the collector to the emitter it comes out around -974 instead of OL. What could this mean?

Thanks again! It definitely seems like the consensus is that this pedal should be louder than it is so I'd love to figure out whats going on.

Let me know if I should post a picture of the other side of my PCB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:53 pm 

orange wrote:
Let me know if I should post a picture of the other side of my PCB

Yes, please.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:10 pm 

Here's some pics of the other side. I hope they're decent enough - I don't own a great camera.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:41 pm 

Most of your soldering looks pretty good, though I see a few questionable joints. Before getting into transistor voltage checks, I'd suggest going through the entire PCB and reflowing every solder joint, including the pot legs. This only takes 20 or 30 minutes, and is often the fastest way to find and fix a bad solder joint, which is a common cause of problems such as the one you describe. Pay particular attention to any joints that don't have a smooth, conical appearance. Also look for any stray bits of solder, particularly any that could be "bridging" between adjacent joints, and clean those up. If that approach doesn't bear any fruit, post back here and we'll delve into your transistor voltages.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:44 pm 

I have just built the Leeds Fuzz and having same problems. Once I had finished the pedal I screwed the back on and plugged it in I then switched it on and firstly the LED didn't come on so I carried on and tried to play through it. The bypass signal was as it should be and sounded fine but when the fuzz is switched on the volume is REALLY REALLY quiet. The little sound I can hear sounds great and exactly like the Leeds fuzz YouTube reviews sound but stupidly quiet.

I have got an amp/pedal repairer/builder who I know to look at it on Monday. I just wondered if anybody could maybe shead some light on this before I take it to him?

Does it matter which way the switch is as there are no markings on them to say otherwise?

The switch and both pots are working as they should be and the sound changes appropriately when changed.

Thanks
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:29 pm 

We prefer that posters not "piggyback" on someone else's thread. Please start a new one. And it would be a good idea to include photos, as the OP here did.