Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:40 am 

LED lights up, bypass works, but nothing from the effect....

This is probably the most common general problem we see posted here for new Large Beaver builds, and can be caused by a wide variety of mistakes or defects. To troubleshoot this problem effectively, the first step I recommend taking is to determine if the problem is in the effect circuitry itself or a problem getting the signal into or back out of the PCB. Fortunately, this latter condition is easy to check.

STEP 1 - CHECKING SIGNAL INPUT AND SIGNAL OUTPUT

When the pedal is in bypass, the signal passes from the incoming instrument cable or patch cord to the tip of the input jack. That is then wired to lug 4 of the footswitch. When the effect is in bypass mode, the signal then travels through the jumper wire connecting lug 4 to lug 9, and then through the 3PDT switch connection to lug 8. That lug connects to the tip of the output jack and on to your amp or the next effect in your pedal chain. By the way, this is a good time to emphasize the fact that, if your pedal does NOT work in bypass mode, the problem has to be in that brief circuit path, and the effect circuit itself--all of the installed componentry on the circuit board--is NOT involved. (This is not the case with the newer BYOC designs with the jacks at the top and the footswitch near the bottom, where the incoming and outgoing signal is routed through tracing on the PCB, though it still doesn't go through the actual effect circuitry.)

So the summarize the bypass signal flow (see first diagram below):

Incoming signal --> input jack tip --> footswitch lug 4 --> footswitch lug 9 --> footswitch lug 8 --> output jack tip --> out to amp/next pedal

When the effect is "on", the signal routing obviously changes so that it flows through the effect circuitry on the PCB. In this case, when the signal gets to lug 4, it's now connected through the footswitch to lug 5, which routes it into the effect circuit at the eyelet labeled "IN" on the PCB. The processed signal then exits the PCB again at the eyelet labeled "OUT", which is wired to lug 7 of the footswitch. This connects internally through the switch to lug 8, and then goes to the tip of the output jack and on its way to your amp/next pedal.

So to summarize the "Effect ON" signal flow (see second diagram below):

Incoming signal --> input jack tip --> footswitch lug 4 --> footswitch lug 5 --> PCB --> footswitch lug 7 --> footswitch lug 8 --> output jack tip --> out to amp/next pedal

Thus, to determine whether or not your "no effect output" problem is on or off the PCB, you need to confirm continuity from (1) lug 4 into the PCB, and (2) out from the PCB to lug 8. If bypass is working, you don't have to worry about what's before lug 4 or after lug 8 on the footswitch--bypass wouldn't work if the problem was in either of those places.

To do this, you'll need a multimeter. The ones with an audible signal continuity check function are very convenient, so if yours has that function, by all means use it. However, any multimeter will work for testing continuity. Just set it to the lowest resistance test setting (often 200 ohms) and touch the two probes to either end of the section of circuit being tested for continuity. A good connection will have nearly no measureable resistance, while an open circuit will read as infinite resistance. Here's the test sequence I'd recommend:

1. WITH THE PEDAL TURNED ON, test between lug 4 of the footswitch and the bottom eyelet connection for resistor R5 on the PCB (circled on second diagram). The bottom of R5 is the first component connection at the input of the effect circuit on the PCB. If you have continuity between these two points, your signal is making into the effect circuit. Move on to step 3.
  2. If you don't have continuity between these points, you need to isolate where the problem is. Keep one probe on lug 4, and move the other to the "IN" eyelet on the board. If you have continuity there, then the trace connecting the IN eyelet to the R5 bottom eyelet is damaged (very rare!). If still no continuity, move that probe back to lug 5 on the footswitch. If you have continuity there, then the wire connection to the IN eyelet is bad and needs to be redone. Still no continuity between lug 5 and lug 4? Then your footswitch is damaged (usually by too much heat during soldering) and needs replacing.
  3. Next, check the output side continuity by testing between lug 8 of the footswitch and the middle connection of the volume pot to the PCB, labeled "V2" (circled on second diagram). This is the last component connection at the output of the effect circuit on the PCB. If you find continuity between those two points and the input side continuity tested in step 1 was also good, your problem must be in the effect circuit on the PCB itself. Proceed to step 4.
  4. If there's no continuity between V2 and lug 8, you need to isolate where it's being lost. Keep one probe on lug 8 and move the other down to the "OUT" eyelet on the board. If you have continuity there, then the trace connecting the OUT eyelet to the V2 connection is damaged (very rare!). If still no continuity, move that probe back to lug 7 on the footswitch. If you have continuity there, then the wire connection to the OUT eyelet is bad and needs to be redone. Still no continuity between lug 7 and lug 8? Then your footswitch is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I'll add more to this troubleshooting guide as time allows....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:54 pm 

When testing with a multimeter, should the pedal have a battery installed? Should their be a cable in the input jack?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:09 pm 

To take voltage readings or to trace the signal thru the circuit a battery or power supply must be connected and a plug must be in the input jack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:10 pm 

Is there a faq like this but for a newer large beaver? Trying to troubleshoot my current build.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am 

No, but the input and output signal paths are the same for the newer Beavers. The jack positions have just been moved to the top and the connections to the footswitch now go through PCB traces in addition to the wire connections.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
No, but the input and output signal paths are the same for the newer Beavers. The jack positions have just been moved to the top and the connections to the footswitch now go through PCB traces in addition to the wire connections.
Thank you. How do I know what each components label is? The pcb only states values and not positions such as "R5"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:11 am 

I also wanted to be sure this wasn't a type.

Continuity between lug 8 and middle volume pot lid (v2) is bad? Because I do have continuity between lug 8 and v2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am 

dirt_diggler wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
Thank you. How do I know what each components label is? The pcb only states values and not positions such as "R5"

Sorry, PCB "maps" have not been generated for the newer versions of the Large Beaver. But you can often figure the component positions out from following the traces on the PCB. When the maps are created, that's basically how they're done, along with confirmation with a multimeter.

On the PCBs of the new LB versions, that input resistor is designated R2 and is either a 33K or 39K resistor located just above the #1 eyelet.

dirt_diggler wrote:
I also wanted to be sure this wasn't a type.

Continuity between lug 8 and middle volume pot lid (v2) is bad? Because I do have continuity between lug 8 and v2

Assume you mean "typo"?

As on the older version, there should be continuity between the middle lug of the Level pot and lug 8 of the footswitch, when the latter is in the engaged position. In fact, you should have continuity all the way to the tip of the output jack.

Please restrict additional posts pertaining to the specific problem you are having with your build to the thread you started here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=59037 We like to keep these "sticky" threads focused on general info.