Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:31 am 

Hello everyone, I couldn't find a similar issue so I figured I'll make a new thread.

So I just finished my Lil' Russian Beaver build and it seems to be working fine except I get a sine signal at the output which gets louder with the volume knob. It is not some standard noise but a clear sine wave, it starts to get audible as the volume knob ~2 and onwards.

My first question is, could this be normal behaviour? The video uploaded by BYOC indicates otherwise, so I figure not.
Could this be a power supply issue? I am using a cheap 9V power supply, which is adding some noise to the signal chain.

If the answer is no to the above, do you guys have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? The internet has failed me, or I am not describing the problem correctly.

I get the same issue on both my Fender Fender G-DEC 3 modelling amp as well as on my sound card on the pc. I am attaching a sound clip and near the end I am moving the volume knob to 10 and back so you get an idea of what I mean.

Sound sample:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6cBo ... UZWMmdPSjA

Circuit Board image:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6cBo ... 2M2Q1JpbUU

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:20 am 

Yes, it's a strong possibility that the noise is the cheap power supply. That's probably the #1 source of unwanted noise that we see here. I'd tell you to test it with a 9V battery, but that's not easy to do with the micro pedals. Do you have access to a good quality P/S--maybe a friend that has one of the high-quality power "bricks" like Voodoo Labs, T-Rex, and several others make?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:11 am 

Thanks for the response!!

I have already ordered one of these Battery to DC jacks, so I ll try when it arrives and see how that goes.