Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:12 pm 

I just finished a Geranium Boost kit. Works great, except it has an excessive amount of hiss/white noise. I have added a link to a sample of the noise with the gain knob set at about 11. Is this a bad transistor or just the nature of the beast? It is definitely not subtle, certainly too much noise for recording. I have attached some photos of the build, its running on a battery, I tinned the leads of the transistor to get a better connection in the socket, to no avail. Adjusting the bias doesn't make any difference either, unless I turn the pot completely counter clockwise, in which case the pedal goes completely quiet, signal and all. This was all done at about 70º.

Here is a link to a sample of the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqASPbe9 ... load_owner

Attachments:
ped2.jpeg
ped2.jpeg [ 104.16 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]
ped1.jpeg
ped1.jpeg [ 80.82 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:15 am 

That's definitely not right. Are you sure that the transistor is inserted correctly, i.e. legs in the right socket holes?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:31 am 

I believe it is. Other than noise, the pedal works great. I emailed BYOC this morning and asked about getting a new transistor. I suppose I could substitute another transistor in the circuit and see if the noise problem is improved, but I build tube amps, I don't have solid state parts laying around and it is a long drive to an electronics supply store from where I live. Never thought I would miss Radio Shack. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm 

B.Y.O.C. responded to my email right way. Hayley apologized for the noisy transistor, and is sending me a replacement. Three cheers for great customer service!