Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:50 pm 

Hello everyone.

This journal will follow the steps and questions I have while building my first pedal in over a decade.

My plan is this:
An Op Amp & a NYC Beaver in one enclosure. The signal will enter on the right as usual, it will first encounter a foot switch which will switch the order of the Beavers. I'm still gaming this out in my head, but I think I can make it work.

I am also at the moment considering adding voltage drain pots and a feedback switch (send the signal through the transistors twice) for either one or both effects.

I know there are several considerations I will have to make in advance in this project. Any advice and/or suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:14 pm 

Here is my first thoughts on an "effects-order" switch. Would this work? Does the order of the signal "ground" or negative matter?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:24 pm 

Keith, or anyone, can you send me the enclosure drilling guide (spacings) for the li'l Beavers (NYC & OpAmp)? I am putting them in a different enclosure but I want to still take advantage of that sweet, sweet on board hardware.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm 

JHC wrote:
Here is my first thoughts on an "effects-order" switch. Would this work? Does the order of the signal "ground" or negative matter?

You may find the second diagram in the first post of this thread to be useful, as it was designed for exactly this kind of switching: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17245

As your switch is drawn, the output between the two switch positions will end up on different lugs. But if you add a jumper between lugs 6 & 7, it would work.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:46 pm 

Awesome! Thanks for the info DVM. You really are the best. I appreciate all your help and responses on here.

duhvoodooman wrote:
JHC wrote:

You may find the second diagram in the first post of this thread to be useful, as it was designed for exactly this kind of switching: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17245

As your switch is drawn, the output between the two switch positions will end up on different lugs. But if you add a jumper between lugs 6 & 7, it would work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:12 pm 

Updated thoughts on an order switching foot switch.

Still not sure why it shouldn't work....any thoughts?

When switch is thrown up:
Guitar -> input -> orange wire from pin 2 to pin 1 -> orange wire NYC in -> NYC out -> green wire from pin 5 to pin 4 to pin 3 -> orange wire to Op Amp in -> Op Amp out -> baby blue wire from pin 8 to pin 7 -> dark blue wire to output jack and amp.

When switch is thrown down:
Guitar -> input -> orange wire fro pin 2 to pin 3 -> orange wire Op Amp in -> Op amp out -> light blue wire from pin 8 to pin 9 to pin 1 -> orange wire to NYC in -> NYC out -> green wire from pin 5 to pin 6 -> dark blue wire to output jack and amp.

What am I missing?

The real question is this: Is there a way to wire up any indicator LEDs to show which pedal is first and which is second?
I have those 3 color 5mm LEDs. You know, one pin is red, one is green, one is blue, (and the other ground of course).

I was thinking since I probably (definitely?) can't attach an LED to the order-switching foot switch, could I maybe have each effects LED switch between Green and Blue. Where, say, Blue indicates that is the first effect in the signal chain and Green is second?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:24 am 

JHC wrote:
Still not sure why it shouldn't work....any thoughts?

I think it would probably work wired as you've shown, but there's no need for two separate output lugs on the switch. Run a jumper between lugs 6 and 7 and then use one or the other as the output connection.

JHC wrote:
The real question is this: Is there a way to wire up any indicator LEDs to show which pedal is first and which is second?
I have those 3 color 5mm LEDs. You know, one pin is red, one is green, one is blue, (and the other ground of course).

I was thinking since I probably (definitely?) can't attach an LED to the order-switching foot switch, could I maybe have each effects LED switch between Green and Blue. Where, say, Blue indicates that is the first effect in the signal chain and Green is second?

I think that wiring two LEDs to simultaneously show both the first & last effect would be very complex, but it would be easy enough to just show which is first. You could do that either with two separate LEDs or a single multi-colored one. You'd just need to use a 4PDT footswitch, and use the 4th set of lugs to connect the LED(s).

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:05 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I think that wiring two LEDs to simultaneously show both the first & last effect would be very complex, but it would be easy enough to just show which is first. You could do that either with two separate LEDs or a single multi-colored one. You'd just need to use a 4PDT footswitch, and use the 4th set of lugs to connect the LED(s).

This is a great idea. Blue LED for NYC, Green LED for Op Amp, and a LED that switches between Blue and Green coming off the signal-chain-order-switcher foot switch (I just ordered a couple 4PDTs).

You're the genie-us!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 pm 

Getting going. Waiting on a 4PDT fs.

Off the top of your head, does anyone know or know where to find the drill bit sizes needed for standard BYOC parts?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:09 pm 

Footswitch - 1/2"
pots - 5/16"
LED - 3/16"
Switches - 1/4"
Audio jacks - 3/8"
DC Jack - 1/2"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:22 pm 

Thanks so much Nwkenning! I love the people on this message board, you all are the best.

Nwkenning wrote:
Footswitch - 1/2"
pots - 5/16"
LED - 3/16"
Switches - 1/4"
Audio jacks - 3/8"
DC Jack - 1/2"