Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 pm 

So I have just completed the Leeds Fuzz build and it sounds incredible. I'm very happy with this purchase. However, when I adjust the gain (expansion) pot I get a swooshy noise. This is NOT the sound of dirty pots, its distinctly different. The background noise also occasionally has a slow pulsating effect like a subtle tremolo but it doesn't affect the guitar signal. I have never owned an original so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior but it seemed suspicious. So I grabbed my meter and I'm getting 38 millivolts of DC on the wiper of the gain pot. I know 38 millivolts isn't much, but that seems wrong because there are coupling caps on both sides of the pot. I'm also getting 15 millivolts (and very slowly rising) on the input. Do I have multiple leaky caps on my hands?

Again, besides those potential issues it sounds fantastic and I couldn't be happier. I'm slightly afraid to use it anymore until I hear back from someone so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:18 am 
Site Admin

That's perfectly normal with this circuit. It's just one of the quirks of the Superfuzz. I tried flipping the polarity of the caps and using non-polarized caps to see if I could get rid of the scratchy pot noise, but no luck.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 pm 

OK, thank you!