Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:29 am 

My first kit made, was a lot of fun. Can't wait to build another. My pedal works normal and sounds nasty with a battery but when I tried to use the power supply below, which is a random one I had around, it would not work. Is this random power supply not the right type or is my wiring wrong, which I tripled checked and looks right? I should really run out to get a power supply that links multiple pedals as I plan to build more.

Thanks for the guidance!

I cannot figure out how to put images in the post. See wiring and power supply below
https://imgur.com/a/KyZuFME

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:13 pm 

That's a center-positive PS and won't work with a center-negative DC jack like the one in your LB and 99+% of other pedals. See marked up image below. You probably got this "random" power supply with some other electronic device. Suggest that you clearly mark it as center-positive and store it somewhere other than with those supplies you use with pedals. If you had plugged it into an op amp-based pedal (which the majority of effects pedals are), there's a good chance you would have fried the op amp. Fortunately, the transistors that drive the Large Beaver are much more resistant to such power polarity errors.

Attachment:
CP_PS.jpg
CP_PS.jpg [ 51.73 KiB | Viewed 2705 times ]

The symbol you want to see on your PS is this one:

Attachment:
CN_symbol.gif
CN_symbol.gif [ 4.16 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:25 pm 

Good news is I bought a NEUMA Guitar Effects Pedal Power Supply Adapter 9V DC 1A (1000mA) with Cable 5 Way Daisy Chain Cord off amazon. Bad news is I get a high pitch screech with it on that I do not get with the battery. I am assuming it is my pedal but on the other hand it works perfectly on the battery. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:59 pm 

Any ideas? After some reading it could be the power supply. Not sure how to test this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 pm 

Hotcakes wrote:
Any ideas? After some reading it could be the power supply. Not sure how to test this.

I think you already did. If it's quiet with a battery and noisy with the P/S, then it's pretty clear where the noise is coming in. We see this here all the time with inexpensive power supplies. High gain pedals will, by their very nature, be most sensitive to incoming noise sources because they will amplify it greatly. And the Large Beaver (or other Big Muff type circuits) with its four cascaded transistor gains stages, packs a ton of gain.

Suggest you return this P/S and go with something of higher quality. Yes, it will be more expensive.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:35 pm 

Thanks you. I've tried everything I can. I will return it and look for a better option.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:11 pm 

I bought a nicer power supply; Boss PSA-120S Adapter for 30. Works great no extra noise issue. but! I've found the fuzz pedal has a slight extra crunchy ummph with a battery that I like but not enough to want to buy batteries for it. I'll get used to it and cannot wait to build my second pedal.

Thank you for the help