Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 pm 

Help wasn't very helpful. Got bad parts with kit. Replaced with good parts.

Won't be buying byoc again

Last edited by Green Manalishi on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:50 pm 

OK, a number of things here:

1. Three of your four collector bias voltages are low. (You've also reported them as negative, which indicates that you had the multimeter probes reversed.) The obvious question is what is causing these low voltages?
  2. Looking at your photos, I don't see any resistors out of place, so that's a positive.
  3. However, your soldering quality could definitely be better, and the lack of solder peeking through the eyelets on the component side of the PCB points to inadequate solder flow. To address that, the first thing I would recommend is to work through THIS PROCESS.
  4. Re: soldering quality, you may also find this thread useful: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211
  5. As you reflow your joints, I would also recommend cleaning up the blackened solder mask that I see around several of the joints. This can sometimes be partially conductive, so is best removed. Gently scraping with the tip of a small flat-blade screwdriver followed by brushing it off with an old toothbrush is a good way to get rid of it.
  6. Also, as you go through the PCB, inspect for solder "bridges" between adjacent eyelets that aren't already attached with a trace. Remove any of these you find. Feel free to ask about any of these you're not sure about; referring to the schematic can be helpful in determining what should and shouldn't be connected.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:15 pm 

!