Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:25 pm 

Hi yall got a problem im trying to solve and cuious if anyone has any ideas?
Built a Large Beave (rev 2) maybe 4-5 years ago and had no problems. I love this thing and its been a staple of my pedal chain.
Unfortunately a few years ago it got smashed up a bit and the rotary knob got messed up. The bearings are all loose and it dosent click in place anymore it just roll from pos 1 to pos 4 with lots of dead stops btw each setting.

I tried to take it off, but with all those solder points connecting it to the pcb it just wasnt happening.

I really mostly use pos 3 ( mid bump), so i have been trying to figure out a way to some how hardwire that setting. Permanently selecting c10 and c7 as hpf and lpf respectively. I know it is a3 b7 c10 on the rotary knob, but i am still learing about signal path etc and just not sure where to make the jumps?
It seems like it should be fairly simple, but I am not sure exactly what route to go.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:41 am 

You should find this post quite helpful in understanding the signal path through that rotary switch in the LB 2.0: viewtopic.php?p=150760#p150760

That said, it would still be highly advisable to remove that switch so that you don't have the possibility of parallel signal paths between your "hard-wired" path and the switch connections, since it sounds like there may still be some functionality there. Having done this myself (one the old BYOC Tri-Boost, which used the same 3P4T rotary) I can tell you that it's very doable with a combination of patience and the right tools, specifically a "solder sucker" and some good quality desoldering braid. You just have to be careful not to force anything, because that's how you tear up the eyelets and traces on the PCB and create more problems for yourself.

Replacement switches are available from Mouser: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E- ... zjJw%3D%3D

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:15 pm 

Thanks a bunch for that advice. I think I have been avoiding it as an option, but your right, the best thing to do would just be to get the right tools and get aquianted with the desoldering process.
Appreciate it!