PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:24 am 

My Large Beaver Russian build:
-Turns on / bypasses fine
-Volume and sustain work fine
-Battery and DC jack work fine
-Testing in and out of box components don't short with a little movement
But:
-Tone feels like its always in bypass
-Tone Bypass SPDT switch either does nothing or shorts / shuts off the box. rectified to at least get it to work by pushing down on the rocker
-The tone pot and tone profile switch therefore do nothing
-Tone bypass switch and Tone profile on-off-on don't feel particularly rugged.
-I've tried to jumper the bypass off but wasn't successful.
I've:
Reflowed / removed and re-soldered the switch and some components connected / in line based on the schematic but I think either the switch is damaged or something else? I wish there was still Radio Shacks around so I could just go get a couple replacements to at least check off those components.
Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
IMG_3591.JPEG
IMG_3591.JPEG [ 810.88 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]
IMG_3594.JPEG
IMG_3594.JPEG [ 755.01 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]
66613141920__76168A9C-8582-4FD5-85EA-617759221A98.JPEG
66613141920__76168A9C-8582-4FD5-85EA-617759221A98.JPEG [ 995.48 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 am 

Suggest that you test the toggle switch function using the continuity setting of a multimeter. The way the toggle switch should work is to connect the middle lug with the outer lug that's on the opposite side of the direction that the toggle "bat" is set on. If you need more detailed directions on how to conduct this simple test, let us know.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:38 pm 

Hey- Thanks. Yes, I tried that. I'm aware the side that should show continuity. I couldn't get a reading but by pushing down on the rocker It'd crackle etc. I removed the solder and tried then too before and after I reflowed it. Its a strange part to go bad if that is it. But I was having trouble getting readings anywhere. I need to upgrade my multi, one of my leads is trashed. A friend has it right now, He played it last night and really wanted to mess around with it. When I get it back, I'm going to remove the switch and try to jumper that side of it to prove that out. Wish I thought to just do that while I was troubleshooting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:03 pm 

If you're in the market for a new DMM, I recently picked up one of these and have been very impressed with it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59875

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:25 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
If you're in the market for a new DMM, I recently picked up one of these and have been very impressed with it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59875

Cool- I'll check it out. Thanks. They're so inexpensive nowadays, there's no reason to struggle with a crummy tool that is so necessary with this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:32 pm 

Fixed this pedal. It was indeed the tone bypass switch. I bought another kit and BYOC sent me a replacement in that shipment but sent a on-off-on instead of an on-on but that's OK because it actually added another feature. When not using it as a fuzz, in the center off position it makes it a kill switch utility pedal hahaha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 pm 

Great! Glad to hear that you got it working!

Tee2022 wrote:
Fixed this pedal. It was indeed the tone bypass switch. I bought another kit and BYOC sent me a replacement in that shipment but sent a on-off-on instead of an on-on but that's OK because it actually added another feature. When not using it as a fuzz, in the center off position it makes it a kill switch utility pedal hahaha

Yeah, you can wiggle it back and forth and get that stutter effect!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:39 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Great! Glad to hear that you got it working!

Tee2022 wrote:

Yeah, you can wiggle it back and forth and get that stutter effect!

I'm making another one of these for somebody else but will probably make one for me and thinking of putting that Tone Bypass on a separate footswitch ( in a new case of course) to have 2 tones on call. Totally usable feature I think. The wide open tone of the thing is great and has a bit of a boost and the tone path is really varied.