Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:18 pm 

hey all, first build here so pardon if this is an obvious answer. in the modded fuzz kit, i appear to have received two 4.7k resistors and no 3.9k resistor (see attached image; i attempted to put them in the order in which they're listed on the instructions - though i may have misread them).

so the question: if i have read the resistor bands correctly, is it okay to use the extra 4.7k resistor for R6 in lieu of the 3.9k? if so, what will the effect be on the circuit/sound?

Attachments:
File comment: resistors received
20230413_201755~2.jpg
20230413_201755~2.jpg [ 296.24 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 pm 

allergictoplaid wrote:
so the question: if i have read the resistor bands correctly, is it okay to use the extra 4.7k resistor for R6 in lieu of the 3.9k? if so, what will the effect be on the circuit/sound?

Yes, you can safely use that extra 4.7K resistor in place of the absent 3.9K. If you take a look at the circuit schematic, you'll see that the 3.9k resistor is in series with a 1K resistor and a 10K pot connected as as a variable resistor. These are installed between the voltage source (V+) and the collector of the Q2 transistor, and serve to set the voltage bias on that transistor. Being in series, the total resistance will be their sum, i.e. 3.9K +1K + whatever resistance the pot is set to between 0 and 10K. So that resistance will be somewhere between 4.9K and 14.9K, depending upon the pot setting. Substituting the 4.7K resistor will shift that to a range of 5.7 - 15.7K, which should still be plenty of available resistance range to dial in the sound of the fuzz to your liking. And if by some odd chance you find that it doesn't give you enough adjustment range on the pot, contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and ask them to send you a lower value, like a 2.2 or a 1.5K.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:40 pm 

thanks so much! still working on reading schematics but info like you gave me really helps!