Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:07 pm 

Hello pedal people, I just tried my hand at the newest Large Beaver Russian but am having trouble.

Bypass/off works well. When I turn the unit on, the volume becomes extremely low (so, the Vol pot changes it from silent to very low). The Tone Pot is scratchy and makes muffled noised when I turn it.

I did accidentally have to desolder the B100K tone pot and also an A100K because I switched them by mistake, but I did this pretty quick without too much trouble or overheating. Still, maybe I just fried the pot? When I tested the B100K tone pot with a multimeter it did seem to be responding, but I'm not really sure what to look for, so any help there would be great.

The other potential issue is the film cap in the middle that I burned the surface of with my iron. Could this be the culprit?

All connections look fine to me. I used another troubleshooting thread and verified that the signal is being sent through the circuit when on. I'm using a 9V and it tests good. Here are some links of pics of the build, let me know if you need to see anything closer. Would appreciate any advice!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:25 pm 

I don't see any component misplacements, so I think the first thing I'd try would be to do a complete solder reflow, as described here: https://www.byocelectronics.com/board/v ... =9&t=52188 Takes only a few minutes and often fixes problems like the one you are experiencing. If that doesn't do the trick, post back and we can try some other things.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:29 pm 

Yeah, that was it. Sounds amazing!! Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:50 am 

Yeah, it's amazing how often that simple process fixes pedal problems. We like to review photos first (thanks for providing good ones!) to check for component placement mistakes or other visually obvious problems, but when none of those are seen, the ol' solder reflow is the next thing we usually recommend.

Enjoy the pedal!! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2