Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:31 pm 

I am going through the testing phase of the build right now. All LED's light, bank switches change banks, mode changes switch between Loop and Preset, I am able to save settings and signal passes through in bypass and buffered mode as well as all loops tested and passed. My issue is I get a loud pop/click through my amp when switching all loops in Loop mode and Preset mode. I tested it with the signal going through bypass and buffered and it pops through both modes when I go through the loops. I get no loud pops through the amp when changing banks. There is no hum or hiss at all, which is good, but very loud pops/click come through the amp when changing / going through all loops 1-8. Thanks for your time.

PCB Photos

https://ibb.co/tcmvKJH
https://ibb.co/cXQwGq3
https://ibb.co/Ybh9MDW
https://ibb.co/N769JS6
https://ibb.co/WFt615s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:56 am 
Site Admin

So, everything works as expected? Your problem is that it makes a pop when the various relays turn on and off? It's very likely a grounding issue. Have you tried putting everything in the enclosure?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 pm 

Yes, everything works as expected. Just loud pops through the amp when switching relays. I have not tried putting it in the enclosure yet. I will try putting every thing in the enclosure just not solder the LEDS and see if this resolves the issue. I will update once this has been done and tested.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:09 pm 

Check all your solder joints, some look like themycould use a little more solder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:04 pm 

Update:

So I put it all in the enclosure and that did not change the loud pops from the relays coming though the amp speaker. I was bench testing it through a 1975 fender champ with gold tip monster cable, and a CIOKS Sol power supply. I decide to try it through a different amp. I had a Fender Mustang 1 that I used to practice pedal steel guitar with head phones on. There is a reason for the head phones. Well I did not get the Chuck Norris karate slap pop when going through the relays out that amp. At full volume I could hear just a little sound of the relay click through the speaker. Next I tried it through a 68 Fender Twin Reverb and I could only hear a faint sound through the speaker of the relays clicking at volume of 3. When I get to practice I will test it on my 73 Fender Vibrolux. I will try it through my 65 Showman tomorrow. Just wondering why the Champ is giving a huge Pop sound through the speaker. I mean it's bad. Sounds like a slap machine for sound effects in a kung fu movie.

Although the relay switch pop can be heard barely through the other amps I think over all it was a good build. I would like to get the relay faint pop worked out if anybody has suggestions. I mean it's like 95 percent better through my other amps. You will not be able to hear it when the band is going. Recording would be a different story though. I am going to hold off on soldering the LEDs for right now as I am still working out the kink.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:39 am 

Did you see this solder joint in the middle of the top half of the photo, it looks like it has no solder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Figuring out popping noise with true bypass is very difficult. The super8 has a muting system, but the relays make a physical click that you can here even when the unit isn't plugged into an amp. So it's possible that your problem is simply that you have everything too close to each other and something is picking up that relay click. Maybe it will disappear when you have it spread out more in an actual real world scenario.

But based on the fact that one amp seems to be really bad, and others to a lesser degree, I would assume the problem is a grounding issue. You can have really nice cables and power supply, but some rooms are just "haunted". Maybe it's the wiring in the walls. Who knows. If possible, I'd suggest trying it in a different location and seeing if you get the same results.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com