Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:26 am 

Would it be possible to mod an amp selector in order to make the "stereo" input accept a stereo plug? I'd like to be able to use it to route the signal from a guitar with split neck and bridge pickups, without having to use a clunky stereo->2xmono adaptor. But ideally I'd also like it to work as a splitter for one mono signal, and still be able to run two mono inputs as well.

Is that possible? I was trying to think through it but got stuck because I don't understand what purpose IC1a serves in the circuit (let alone why it seems to have its power supply wired backwards).

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, as you can probably guess I've got some guitar wiring experience but have never built a pedal!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:10 am 

Hi - welcome to the forum! :D

Could you clarify a bit what you want the pedal to do? It sounds like you'd like to be able to plug a TRS plug into input A and have the pedal switch between the tip out, the ring out, and both, but also be able to function as it does stock. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:14 am 

Morgan wrote:
Hi - welcome to the forum! :D

Could you clarify a bit what you want the pedal to do? It sounds like you'd like to be able to plug a TRS plug into input A and have the pedal switch between the tip out, the ring out, and both, but also be able to function as it does stock. Is that correct?

That's exactly it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm 

Anyone have any suggestions? Even some insight into IC1a's role in the circuit would be helpful...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:41 pm 

I think this should work. It's not verified, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Attachment:
BYOC Amp Selector Stereo Mod.JPG
BYOC Amp Selector Stereo Mod.JPG [ 78.18 KiB | Viewed 8472 times ]

EDIT: See additional information below in this thread before implementing this mod. As of yet, this mod is unverified.

You need a DPDT on-on toggle switch, like this: http://byocelectronics.com/parts/switchtgdpdtsl1-1.html

It will likely be challenging to find a spot to mount the toggle. You may be able to get away with mounting it underneath an input jack in the way that the ground lift toggles are mounted underneath the output jacks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 pm 

morgan138 wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions? Even some insight into IC1a's role in the circuit would be helpful...

IC1b is a unity gain buffer for input A. IC1a takes the buffered signal from input A, splits it off from the A path, buffers it again, and sends it to the ring of input B. These are switching jacks, so when no plug is inserted into input B, the ring shorts to the tip and that split signal from path A is routed to the input B path.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 am 

Thank you, that's super helpful. It looks like there's room for a switch by the power jack...but I was going to use that for a phase flip switch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Admin

That won't work because the signal going into IC1a needs to go through IC1b first to be biased. You'd need to cut the trace that connects the output of IC1a to the ring of input B, and then wire a DPDT toggle as a bypass switch for the signal directly off the ring of input A.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Or...

An easier solution is to use your mod, Morgan, but just add a resistor off the non-inverting input of IC1a to vRef and that will take care of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm 

byoc wrote:
Or...

An easier solution is to use your mod, Morgan, but just add a resistor off the non-inverting input of IC1a to vRef and that will take care of it.

Thanks Keith - would that resistor need to be switched with the mod? i.e. - if you have a 10k to Vref off the non-inverting input of IC1a when the pedal is in normal mode, will it cause an issue?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

No. I haven't actually done it, but there shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't need to "toggle" that resistor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 pm 

Okay - thank to implement this mod correctly, all you need to do is follow the instructions above and also add a 1 meg resistor from the ring of Input A jack to ground (because when the mod is switched in, the ring connects straight to the non-inverting input of IC1a to route the signal through the input B signal path - and ground is Vref in this case because the op amps use a bipolar power supply). An easy way to implement that would be to install the 1 meg resistor right across the ring and sleeve lugs or pcb pads of Input Jack A. When the toggle is in stock position and a mono plug is inserted into the jack, that resistor will be shorted and not doing anything.

I'll update the diagram as soon as I have a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:10 am 

Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this as soon as I have some spare cash (and can find someplace stocking this kit). I really appreciate the help here!