Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 pm 

Has anyone tried this? I'm using a setup with 2-3 pedals that I only use with my amp's clean channel. It's an old 5150, with the 2-button footswitch on a TRS cable. What I'd like to do is add a jack to the looper pedal to make its A/B button also switch the amp between lead and rhythm channels (when connected to the head's footswitch jack with a stereo cable), so each channel effectively has its own effects loop.

Would I be able to just ground the sleeve of the footswitch cable, and the ring to one side of SW2C? Or would the current coming from the amp's footswitch jack (which normally lights the LEDs) cause problems?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:10 am 

No-one's tried this? I haven't been down to the space to mess with it firsthand, but a little research is making me think the 5150 uses a momentary switch to trip a relay in the head, which makes me even less sure how it'd interact with such a pedal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 am 

It might help if you offered a little more description of what you want the pedal to do.

- You are talking about using the BYOC A/B True Bypass Looper for this, correct?

- Please describe exactly what you want the two footswtiches to actually do. In stock form, the pedal has a bypass switch that bypasses or routes the signal through the selected loop, and then a 2nd foot switch that selects one of two loops.

- Posting clear, in-focus photos of the inside of your channel switcher showing all the connections would be a big help!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:02 pm 

Hello, fellow Morgan!

I'm trying to find a way to switch between 2 external effects loops at the same time that I switch amp channels. So when my amp's in "lead" mode, my signal is going through one loop before hitting the amp, and when it's in "rhythm" mode my signal is going through a different loop. Obviously I could get this effect by just switching an A/B looper at the same time as I switch channels, but sometimes when I'm doing this I'm already hitting another (unrelated) pedal at the same time and I don't think I can reliably and simultaneously stomp on 3 things at once. Does that make more sense?

So what I was hoping to do was build an A/B looper with an extra jack that I'd use to connect it to the head where I'd normally connect my footswitch, and have the pedal's A/B switch also function as a lead/rhythm switch for the amp.

Unfortunately I can't post a picture of the channel switcher - it's a plastic Peavey one and I've read they are almost impossible to put back together once you crack them open.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:12 pm 

Morgans rule! 8)

So, you need a box with one switch that switches amp channels and signal path, one input jack, one output jack, two each send and return jacks, and a jack for the footswitch jack on your amp, correct?

Can you maybe try to find a picture of your switcher and possibly a schematic for it? there are so many ways this is done, I don't like guessing at it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 pm 

Morgan wrote:
Morgans rule! 8)

So, you need a box with one switch that switches amp channels and signal path, one input jack, one output jack, two each send and return jacks, and a jack for the footswitch jack on your amp, correct?

That's exactly what I had in mind! This seems to be the internet's consensus on how a 5150 footswitch is wired:

I'd guess they're latching switches and the voltage that controls each relay (within the amp) also lights its LED.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm 

Okay. Are we ditching the effects switch? And what does the channel switch do? Does the LED light when you switch from clean to dirty or something?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:11 pm 

I'm not sure what I'd do with the effects switch. I guess the easy way would be to jumper it so that it's always on. And the hard way would be to put in a third switch to control it? But at that point I'd be looking at a custom enclosure, instead of just drilling an extra hole in the side of the one from the kit.

As far as the channel switch goes, when there's current running through it the LED lights up and the amp is in lead channel mode. When it's grounded the LED is off and its in rhythm mode.