Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 am 

Hi, i'd like to transform my A/B TBL to and FX Series switcher but i am not quite familiar with the footswitches and general routing.

For example from A->B->C->D->E to A->D->C->B->E.

Any help with the wiring or any available schematics appreciated.

Also would it be possible to change between the two modes with a switch?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm 

Not possible with the BYOC true bypass A/B looper. To do what you're asking, you need inputs and outputs for each pedal and quite a bit of complicated logic or digital switching & programming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:20 am 

Hi, thanks for the help,
Perhaps turning it to a simpler fx router without skipping a pedal, like:

A->B->C->D to
A->C->B->D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:09 am 

Here's the problem. A hard-switched effects order switcher requires four jacks to switch the order of two pedals:

Theoretically, you could do this with four effects using the BYOC enclosure. You just re-purpose the bypass switch to one effect order switcher, and re-purpose the A/B switch to a second effect order switcher. The problem is that you need to see if you can fit four more jacks into the enclosure.

EDIT: looking again at your post, I see you meant only switch the order of two pedals. You can do that. Just keep the bypass switch as-is and replace the A/B switch the effect order switcher shown above.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 am 

If i could use the existing http://buildyourownclone.com/effects-pe ... ooper.html and wire the output of the A pedal to the input jack and the output of the looper to the input of the D pedal, so i would have wired only the B and C pedals on my looper, aren't 4 jacks enough?

Like A->{B->C}->D to A->{C->B}->D where {BYOC looper}.

But what modifications should i make to the wiring so that one switch bypasses both effects and the other switches the order of the 2.

Edit: I just saw your edit, this is exactly the wiring i need some help with, the switcher footswitch modifications.

Thanks again for your time

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:01 am 

Okay - here are some instructions for converting the BYOC A/B True Bypass Looper to an effect order switcher/true bypass looper.

First off. when I refer to switch lug numbers, this is how they are numbered:
Attachment:
3PDT.jpg
3PDT.jpg [ 8.83 KiB | Viewed 7246 times ]

The 4PDT is the same, just with a 4th column of lugs (10-12) on the right side.

The Bypass switch wiring will stay basically the same:
Attachment:
tblinstructions.jpg
tblinstructions.jpg [ 25.71 KiB | Viewed 7245 times ]

In fact, wiring steps 1 through 6 (pages 10-15) of the BYOC instructions are exactly the same, except you need to replace the A/B switch with a 4PDT footswitch, available here: http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SFS4PDT-LS-p/800-1004.htm

Once you get to step 7 of the wiring instructions, you'll deviate to the effect order switcher diagram.
Attachment:
step7.jpg
step7.jpg [ 25.14 KiB | Viewed 7246 times ]

In this step, you will still have the wires coming off lugs 5 and 7 of the bypass switch, but instead of going to the 3PDT A/B switch as shown, the fuscia wire coming off lug 5 will connect to 4PDT lug 2 (shown attached to the tip of the input jack in the effect order switcher diagram), and the green wire coming off lug 7 will connect to 4PDT lug 7 (shown connected to the tip of the output jack in the diagram below).
NOTE: Your effect order switch will be rotated 90 degress counter-clockwise from how it is shown in the diagram. Everything will still be connected the same as shown, except the wire connected to the tip of the input jack will be connected to lug 5 of the bypass switch, and the wire connected to the tip of the out jack will be connected to lug 7 of the bypass jack. The LED connections will be the same as shown in the BYOC instructions (which are basically the same as the diagram), except they will be connected to lugs 10-12 of the 4PDT order switch, instead of to lugs 7-9 of the A/B switch.

That's it! That's all you need to do. With these mods, the bypass switch will bypass any effects plugged into A or B jacks, and the A/B switch will now switch the order of the pedals connected to the A/B jacks.
Attachment:
operation.jpg
operation.jpg [ 14.15 KiB | Viewed 7248 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:11 am 

Amazing, thanks a lot Morgan!

I will take some time studying the schematic and report back.

If i cannot find the 4dpt and use the existing 3dpt, all i will lose is the led funcionality right?
Since the only switches i have are some 6pole DPDT On/On switches could i combine these and the 3dpt to make this somehow work?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:30 pm 

Correct; but if you used the 3pdt without the LEDs, it would be tough to figure out the effect order. And I wouldn't bother with extra toggle switches. Best to just order the 4pdt I linked to above.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:52 am 

I am not in US so that i could order it but i'll try to find one here in Europe.

Thanks again for your time and help !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:52 pm 

Really glad I came across this post. This is the exact project I've been looking to build, with a could adjustments.

Say I had only one LED that I wanted to come on when the loops are reversed. When the standard A>B the LED would be off. How would I wire that one LED then? Would I just wire the negative to lug 1 of the switch similar to the bypass switch?

Also how would the power wiring be different if I wanted to just use the DC jack and not have a battery snap at all?

Thanks!