Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 am 

I have a Super 8 looper and I love it. But every time I switch to a Boss pedal for the first time there is an incredibly loud pop. Every time after the first time is ok. How come? I forgot to mention that all other brands of pedal don't do this, including BYOC pedals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:55 pm 

That's odd. The Boss probably has some voltage leaking out of it. Have you swapped the loops around to make sure it is the pedal and not the loop?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:02 pm 

I'm experiencing this same issue on a couple of the loops, but not all. I have not tried changing the loops around to troubleshoot (my cable runs are pretty tight)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:29 pm 

I have 7 pedals on the board with loop 8 used to route to a different amp. Of the 7 pedals, 4 are Boss and they all do it. My Tube Screamer, my old Vox Valve Tone, and my BYOC Analog Chorus (which is sweet, by the way. I dumped all my other chorus pedals) never do it. It's not the loops. I'm using a new VooDoo Labs Power Plus with a current doubler cable so I can drive the Super 8 with 12vdc. All my cables are George L's (which cost me a fortune). I think Boss pedals just have an inherent problem. Like I said in the beginning, it only happens the first time I use the Super 8 to connect to the Boss pedals. After that, there are no pops. Maybe I just have to connect to every pedal before we start a gig and get it out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 am 

I'm guessing that the Boss pedals have a tiny bit of voltage leaking from the output that builds up at the loop switch contacts. When the patch is opened, the loud pop you hear is the DC voltage discharging. I'll pay more attention to any popping I find in mine and let you know if I find anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 am 

Morgan wrote:
I'm guessing that the Boss pedals have a tiny bit of voltage leaking from the output that builds up at the loop switch contacts. When the patch is opened, the loud pop you hear is the DC voltage discharging...

Maybe related to the particular JFET bypass switching circuitry that Boss pedals use? Perhaps this voltage bleeds off when the pedal is in the signal chain but has no place to go when truly bypassed? Just guessing...

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:39 pm 

bringing this back from the crypt because I'm still having pop issues with my Super8

Anybody successfully resolved this? Is there any way to implement drain resistors across the relays or something?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am 

If your issue is caused by DC leaking from certain pedals (which would be the first thing I would check in troubleshooting the issue), the solution is to fix or remove those pedals.