Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Amp Selector Issues
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:27 pm 

Hey all, this is my second build from BYOC and am having some issues here. First was the Leeds Fuzz and had no problem - that thing rips. Anyway, below are the following problems I'm having with the Amp Selector build (board version 1.2).

WHAT WORKS:
1) Both LEDs light up as they should, the footswitches cause everything to appear to function as they should.

WHAT DOESN'T:
1) With guitar into Input A, I get significantly decreased volume in each of the amps, though a signal IS making it to each one and both of the switches seem to be working properly.
2) With guitar into Input B, I get no signal to Output A, but full and clear signal to Output B. All switching again appears to work as you'd expect (based on the LEDs).

I'm not the prettiest with solder, though I've gone back through and tried to clean up/reflow what I could.

Thanks to any who tries to help!

Attachments:
IMG_6304.jpeg
IMG_6304.jpeg [ 810.76 KiB | Viewed 6978 times ]
IMG_6302.jpeg
IMG_6302.jpeg [ 809.05 KiB | Viewed 6978 times ]
IMG_6300.jpeg
IMG_6300.jpeg [ 897.74 KiB | Viewed 6978 times ]

Post subject: Re: Amp Selector Issues
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

Two more, if they help!

Thanks!

Attachments:
IMG_6303a.jpeg
IMG_6303a.jpeg [ 65.58 KiB | Viewed 6975 times ]
IMG_6301a.jpeg
IMG_6301a.jpeg [ 71.07 KiB | Viewed 6975 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:06 am 

In the third photo you have several suspect looking solder joints. Many are not neat conical shaped solder joints which is a sign of cold soldering. On many joints we can still see the solder pad. A good solder joint should cover the entire solder pad on the PCB.

For example: In the top left corner of the 3rd photo there are 2 jacks. The center solder joint of the 3 below the second jack is a perfect example of a poor joint. It looks like a blob of solder resting on top of the solder pad. The molten solder should have completely covered that solder pad.

The solder joint to the right of that same jack looks like it was applied with a putty knife. You also need to take a brush to remove all that solder spatter (tiny bits of solder stuck to the PCB). Those tiny little balls of solder can create a short. One of those little balls of solder can get stuck between 2 solder joints and short them out. I’ve seen this happen on many occasions. Take the time to clean up your solder work and then test the pedal again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

You're not supposed to get signal out of output A from input B. Input A is your mono input. When you have an input in A, you can switch between A, B, or both.

You would only use input B if you also have an input in A as well. In stereo mode, you can turn A off, turn B off, or have both on.

So the fact that output B seems to be working fine when you have input connected to B, but neither work when you have an input connected to A would suggest that you have a problem with IC1. You likely have a bad solder joint at R1 or R2.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:57 pm 

To add to the above recommendations:

What temp and solder type are you using? It seems that you need to turn your iron up a bit. Your solder joints are a bit too blobby for comfort. I recommend reflowing your solder so it gives you a nice, shiny, hershey kiss-like solder joint. Make sure all your solder joints are independent. By that I mean to make sure there are no solder bridges between nearby solder joints. It looks like some of your IC pins are bridged, and one of your solder joints needs to be actually flowed. General rule of thumb is that if you can still clearly see the eyelet, there isn't enough solder, or there hasn't been enough 'flow through'.

Go through and retouch your solder joints, and see where you are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:07 pm 

You all were (of course) dead on. Thanks for taking the time to tell another noob to slow down and solder his shit properly. After taking the time to finally clean up my soldering iron, I went through everything, cleaned up the connections that were bridged, fully flowed the solder that hadn't, and wouldn't you know it the box works perfectly. Silent switching, no hum, it's a thing of beauty I tell you.

Again, I appreciate the insight and guidance. It's almost like you folks do this thing for a living!! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 am 

Glad it worked out for you!

pinuscontorta wrote:
It's almost like you folks do this thing for a living!! 8)

Actually, most of us don't. The moderator team is all volunteer! Only Nick and byoc (Keith, the owner) are on the clock. :wink:

My band, Austin Hollow