Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:09 am 

This has happened twice now. At first I thought it was user error, but now I need advice for a diagnostic procedure, etc.

Symptom: Loop 1 stops routing the signal through the loop.

Problem Description: At the beginning of practice, Loop 1 was working. When active the red LED is lit and the pedal (a BOSS SD-1) works normally. I could activate Loop 1 in Loop mode or in Preset mode. After practicing for 2-3 hours, I stopped hearing the pedal even though the red LED for Loop 1 was lit.

Diagnostic: I put the Super 8 in Loop mode and tested each loop. All worked as expected except for Loop 1. The button toggled the LED, but the signal clearly wasn't going through the pedal -- stepping on the pedal's button and twisting its dials had no affect on the sound.

I tried changing Presets, changing banks, switching back and forth to Loop/Preset mode, nothing had any effect. A couple of hours later, I fired up the board to test the pedal, and Loop 1 was working again.

Setup:
My Super 8 was pre-built by BYOC. It is powered by a 1-Spot Pro, using a 9 volt 500 milliamp connection.
All 8 Loops are populated, one pedal per loop.
Loop 1 is one of the effects I use the most.

Advice for further diagnosis or resolution appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:08 am 

Did you try swapping out the patch cables? I've had several of those go bad and give intermittent contact.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

I've been hearing about poor contact issues more frequently. I'm not sure if it's the jacks or the plugs.

Could be the relay. Do you hear the loop 1 relay click on on and off like the other loops?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 pm 

duhvoodooman: I notice that when you pull a Send or Return plug on an active loop, the signal cuts out. I'd think that's what a bad patch cable would do, not pass the signal without going through the loop. However, I'll do some swapping & cable testing.

byoc: The next time the problem exhibits, I'll try listening carefully as you suggest. A bad relay seems more likely than a switch, as the LED toggles on & off as expected.

The other test I did was to keep it powered on overnight to see if it had to do with being warmed up. No luck. I'm really enjoying the product other than this 1 issue. Hopefully I can get it to reproduce.

Thanks! Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Nortally wrote:
duhvoodooman: I notice that when you pull a Send or Return plug on an active loop, the signal cuts out. I'd think that's what a bad patch cable would do, not pass the signal without going through the loop. However, I'll do some swapping & cable testing.

byoc: The next time the problem exhibits, I'll try listening carefully as you suggest. A bad relay seems more likely than a switch, as the LED toggles on & off as expected.

The other test I did was to keep it powered on overnight to see if it had to do with being warmed up. No luck. I'm really enjoying the product other than this 1 issue. Hopefully I can get it to reproduce.

Thanks! Paul

The foot switches don't have anything to do with the signal switching directly (nor turning the LEDs on and off for that matter). They just let the microcontroller know that you are asking it to do something. It's the microcontroller that turns the LEDs and relays on and off. It's the relays that actually handle the signal routing. So you can assume that the foot switches and microcontroller working just fine if the LEDs are working as they should.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com