Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Posts: 15
Hello All,

On my PCB (Rev 1.1) I do not have a spot marked for the 4.3v Zenner diode, 10n film cap, or the two BS170 transistors up to this point. Everything else appears to be in order. I am not sure if they still go in relatively the same spots or not? Any assistance is appreciated! It will not allow me to upload my photos right now. Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm
Posts: 16252
Location: Albany, NY
A photo of your rev.1.1 board would be very useful in answering your question, since the instructions the v.1.2 PCB. You may be running into the 1MB maximum file size limit for forum uploads. Suggest that you reduce either the dimensions of the file(s) or the color depth. You can also post them to a publicly accessible file sharing website and then post a link here to them.

_________________
“My favorite programming language is SOLDER” - Bob Pease (RIP)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Posts: 15
I will try this link. Hopefully these pictures are adequate. Most of what my PCB shows does match Rev 1.0 but it looks like some spaces are different. I also don’t have a photo coupler, and the board has a spot for one still opposed to the Rev 1.2 PCB.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/waf4u2kj1edt ... h0BOa?dl=0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:33 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm
Posts: 16252
Location: Albany, NY
Hmm, I can't find anything in my archives for the v.1.1. I'll ask Keith to take a look at this thread...

_________________
“My favorite programming language is SOLDER” - Bob Pease (RIP)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Posts: 15
Thank you! I appreciate the help. I’m excited to get it together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm
Posts: 16252
Location: Albany, NY
I'm not sure how quickly he's likely to check in on a weekend, so please be patient. Better to wait a bit (yeah, Petty was right! ;) ) than to plow ahead, make an error, and have to do it over.

_________________
“My favorite programming language is SOLDER” - Bob Pease (RIP)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:39 pm
Posts: 6012
Location: Richland, WA
There is no space for the zener diode or BS170. Not sure where you got such an old kit from, but you have the photoMOS muting system, which follows the same instructions as 1.0.

_________________
*patience is a virtue*

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Posts: 15
Oh I see. I just ordered this kit from the website when it came back in stock. So do I just need to order a few parts that will complete the version I have? I am fine to do that but I am not sure what I don’t have or what I have that won’t fit this build. I appreciate you getting back so quickly! Any information is appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:38 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm
Posts: 16252
Location: Albany, NY
I have the 1.0 instructions, so if you will PM me with your email address, I'll shoot a copy over to you.

And if you contact sales@buildyourownclone and request the missing parts (looks like it's just the photocoupler and maybe one additional 47uf electrolytic cap) they will gladly send it out to you, assuming they have the photocoupler in stock. At the least, they can give you an accurate part description and an idea of where to source it.

_________________
“My favorite programming language is SOLDER” - Bob Pease (RIP)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am
Posts: 188
I have the same problem. Rev 1.1 which has a "photo coupler" on it for which I got no parts and it came with the 4.3v zener for which there is no spot on the board for. If you look at the completed pic on page 5 of the instructions (which is rev 1.0), you will see the photo coupler and no zener in the bottom right corner.

I emailed sales about this. I bought 2 of these and at this point I'm dead in the water as this build will not work. Sadly, I discovered this after adding the resistors to one of the boards.

And yeah, we can get the missing parts but aren't we using an outdated circuit? There is a reason it changed...

I'll post here when I hear back from BYOC.

_________________
-Jamie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:35 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:39 pm
Posts: 6012
Location: Richland, WA
jajoyner wrote:
I have the same problem. Rev 1.1 which has a "photo coupler" on it for which I got no parts and it came with the 4.3v zener for which there is no spot on the board for. If you look at the completed pic on page 5 of the instructions (which is rev 1.0), you will see the photo coupler and no zener in the bottom right corner.

I emailed sales about this. I bought 2 of these and at this point I'm dead in the water as this build will not work. Sadly, I discovered this after adding the resistors to one of the boards.

And yeah, we can get the missing parts but aren't we using an outdated circuit? There is a reason it changed...

I'll post here when I hear back from BYOC.


We're sending photo-couplers out to the people who accidentally received the 1.1 PCBs.

If you don't mind the extra wait time, the 1.1 would be considered technically better than 1.2. The only difference between the two versions is the MOSFET muting system. 1.2 uses two discrete MOSFETs. The gates of the MOSFETs are connected to the output of the MCU via the 4.3V zener diode. Rev1.1 uses a photoMOS for the muting. It is an integrated circuit that contains two MOSFETs with light sensitive gates and an LED. The LED inside the photoMOS connects to the MCU. It is generally considered better to decouple the gates of the MOSFETs from the MCU via the LED. It would further reduce the potential for any sort of noise that might be transmitted by the 5V power supply. I changed the design in the 1.2 to two discrete MOSFETs because the photoMOS is not readily availble, while BS170 or 2N7000 are plentiful...or were a year ago.

Aside from the part that mutes the guitar signal for a few milliseconds while the relays change state, the two versions are 100% identical. Even the code for the MCU is identical. To the end user, I don't think you would ever notice any difference between the two versions, but there is absolutely no reason to think you're getting the short end of the stick with the 1.1

_________________
*patience is a virtue*

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am
Posts: 188
byoc wrote:
We're sending photo-couplers out to the people who accidentally received the 1.1 PCBs.

If you don't mind the extra wait time, the 1.1 would be considered technically better than 1.2. The only difference between the two versions is the MOSFET muting system. 1.2 uses two discrete MOSFETs. The gates of the MOSFETs are connected to the output of the MCU via the 4.3V zener diode. Rev1.1 uses a photoMOS for the muting. It is an integrated circuit that contains two MOSFETs with light sensitive gates and an LED. The LED inside the photoMOS connects to the MCU. It is generally considered better to decouple the gates of the MOSFETs from the MCU via the LED. It would further reduce the potential for any sort of noise that might be transmitted by the 5V power supply. I changed the design in the 1.2 to two discrete MOSFETs because the photoMOS is not readily availble, while BS170 or 2N7000 are plentiful...or were a year ago.

Aside from the part that mutes the guitar signal for a few milliseconds while the relays change state, the two versions are 100% identical. Even the code for the MCU is identical. To the end user, I don't think you would ever notice any difference between the two versions, but there is absolutely no reason to think you're getting the short end of the stick with the 1.1

OK. This makes me feel better. I can continue building my boards. FYI - I bought 2 so I'm gonna need 2 of those photoMOS bad boys. I did verify both my boards are rev 1.1. I believe I stated that in the email to Hayley.

_________________
-Jamie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am
Posts: 188
byoc wrote:
If you don't mind the extra wait time

Question: what is “extra wait time”? Is it a few days while you ship them or do you have to order them first?

_________________
-Jamie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:39 pm
Posts: 6012
Location: Richland, WA
jajoyner wrote:
byoc wrote:
If you don't mind the extra wait time

Question: what is “extra wait time”? Is it a few days while you ship them or do you have to order them first?


They are being drop shipped directly to customers from Digikey. They usually have a turnaround time of less than 24hrs. Shipping is estimated to take 2 - 3 days. But it is the holiday shopping season, so it may take longer.

_________________
*patience is a virtue*

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group