Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Super 8 Issue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:56 pm 

Hi everybody. So, I'm pretty sure i caused this issue. Everything was working. I got it in the box and tested again before I soldered the LEDs and still working. When I soldered the LEDs, one of them had slipped. I had to desolder to adjust and the solder pads came up. I did my best to solder back but now when I power up the pedal none of the buttons work and the #4 green light blinks.

I'm assuming this is due to my bad LED as everything worked before. What do i need to do to reconnect the LED? It looks like the positive goes to a 470K resistor and the negative goes to ground. I'm not sure which 470K resistor to connect it to.

The bum LED is the #6 green LED.

Post subject: Re: Super 8 Issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

It's a 470 ohm resistor, not 470k, but yes. The positive end connects to the 470 resistor and the negative end connects to ground.

However, if none of the switches work now and the #4 LED blinks constantly, you've got a short to ground at the #4 foot switch. Pressing a foot switch causes a short to ground. If #4 LED is blinking, it thinks you're pressing and holding the #4 foot switch. Since you aren't pressing and holding the #4 foot switch, you must have a short somewhere between the #4 eyelet on the PCB and its solder terminal on the foot switch.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:52 pm 

byoc wrote:
It's a 470 ohm resistor, not 470k, but yes. The positive end connects to the 470 resistor and the negative end connects to ground.

However, if none of the switches work now and the #4 LED blinks constantly, you've got a short to ground at the #4 foot switch. Pressing a foot switch causes a short to ground. If #4 LED is blinking, it thinks you're pressing and holding the #4 foot switch. Since you aren't pressing and holding the #4 foot switch, you must have a short somewhere between the #4 eyelet on the PCB and its solder terminal on the foot switch.

Yep. Ohm. My bad. So, which 470 ohm resistor is it? Which side? and what do I do about the negative ground? Can I connect it to the negative of another LED?

I can still see the wires connect to the board which means I need to take this thing apart. That frightens me as I had a hard enough time lining up the LEDs before I soldered and desoldered. Plus, desoldering - which is why I'm here in the first place.

Random question: Would it be possible for me to buy a new board and the components? This might be easier than the desoldering all of the LEDs and then having to clean the holes and realign. I already have the jacks, foot switches, power jack, and box. I just need the board and components.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:21 pm 

Here's the PCB map, labeled per the Super8 schematic, from THIS THREAD:

Schematic is here: http://byocelectronics.com/super8schematic.pdf

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:17 pm 

byoc wrote:

Great news! I loosened the #4 foot switch and gave it a turn and carefully tightened it back and it works! The bum LED even lights. What a weird coincidence that the foot switch would ground out after I messed up the LED.

Whew!