Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:18 pm 

Hello all, hoping someone can help me out.

I have put together 8 other BYOC pedals, so I have some experience with these kits. Just assembled the amp selector pedal and no sound comes through on either OutA or OutB. The lights work fine and I can initially trace my path at the IN on the PCB and to the first resistor below it, but can't get the bypass to work on any of the A/B lugs on the switch. Hopefully someone can help me with this build! I have a Taylor T5z and was hoping to send through both the electric and acoustic amp at the same time if possible.

Thank!
brian

Attachments:
IMG_1644 (1).jpeg
IMG_1644 (1).jpeg [ 98.48 KiB | Viewed 5725 times ]
IMG_1643 (1).jpeg
IMG_1643 (1).jpeg [ 90.14 KiB | Viewed 5725 times ]
IMG_1645 (1).jpeg
IMG_1645 (1).jpeg [ 89.01 KiB | Viewed 5725 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:07 am 

I would carefully check your wiring on the two output jacks, particularly the inner one that doesn't match the other two. Sounds to me like you may be sending your audio signal to ground.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 am 
Site Admin

The Amp Selector doesn't use switches to route the signal or turn the LEDs on and off. Signal always wants to go to both outputs and the LEDs always want to be on. The switches are used to short out signal and the LEDs to ground. So if you disconnect 5 and 1 (either at the PCB or footswitch) on the "B" side of the PCB you will remove the connections to ground and the switches will no longer be able to short out the audio or LED circuits. So both LEDs should be on and both outputs should have signal. This may make it easier for you to trouble shoot or trace out signal...assuming the problem is on the PCB or with your jack wiring.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:15 pm 

I removed the connections for lugs 5 and 1 from the "B" switch. I used my tester and I can get sound from the PCB through the wires and out the jacks. The input jack works to the PCB as well. Using my tester, working antegrade, I get sound through R1, R2 and R3 but I lose sound on one side of R4 and it seems weak on both sides of R5. I get good sounds out of R7 ad R8, nothing out of R9. Working retrograde, I get good sound out of R10 but nothing out of R9.

Sounds like I should resolder R4, R5 and R9? Not sure if there is anything wrong with the ICs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Do both LEDs come on now?

Can you plug a guitar into the input and play through two amps at the same time now?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:49 pm 

Both LED's come on. No sound through either of the outputs.

I plugged the amp into Out A, I was able to use the tester working backwards. Signal in R9 and R10 and position 6 on the IC. No sound at R8.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Have you tried reflowing your solder joints yet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:01 pm 

I reflowed two of them yesterday. Overall, I thought they all looked pretty good, but there may be something faulty. I was hoping to trace the connection where it is lost so I didn't have to reflow all of the joints, but I will go back and try to redo it this weekend. Thaks for all the feedback and I will let you know!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm 

bcleonard wrote:
I was hoping to trace the connection where it is lost so I didn't have to reflow all of the joints.

Understandable—but it's often hard to determine which joint is going to solve your problem. The good news is that reflowing all of the solder only takes a few minutes, even on a much more complicated circuit than this. It really is the magic bullet for many, many problematic builds. Good luck!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:53 am 

Hello all, turns out I had placed one of the IC chips in the wrong holder. Went back to the diagram, switched it up and there the sound was, no additional soldering needed!

Thanks for all your help. On to the next build!