Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cables and effects
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:19 pm 

Hi there,
I played a lot in my high school and college days in the late 60s and early 70s (a great time to be in live music). Our cables/cords were inexpensive and the wire often broke at the solder joint within the 1/4 plug, but as long as there were 4 or 5 unbroken copper fibers, and we had sound, we were good to go ... now, I see $50, 10 foot cables plated in gold. I understand this for recording (or home audio systems); however, where do you draw the line with DIY and commercial effect boxes (and amps for that matter) and the cost and quality of cables?

How much cable do you need to (reasonably) get the most out of your equipment (disregarding studio work) or with the improvements in circuitry and electronics is there such a thing as having too much cable (cost-quality-wise)? Is there an identifiable point or range where the quality of cable significantly affects the sound performance of DIY builds as well as other effects/amplification (understanding, of course, that a $5 aluminum wired cord is not going to perform adequately)? What do people use, in general, and how many can truly tell the difference at a live performance between budget cables and gold plated cables?
Thanks for any opinions

Post subject: Re: Cables and effects
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:16 pm 

You'll get plenty of opinions. Here's mine: Buy something robust and quality. It's nice to gig with something you feel safe with. There are plenty of cables in the 20 to 40 $ range that fit that criteria. As far as sound, cables do sound different. Most of us will only notice the difference with extremely different cables. This months Guitar Player has a great tutorial on pedal boards and a great shootout for cables in every price point. Worth checking out. They probably even have it on their website.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:17 pm 

... thanks ... I will certainly give it a look ...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm 

http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-h ... ter-cables

cables are overhyped and many times overpriced. Really, any affordable cable should be fine. Ive never heard a difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:11 am 

I haven't been able to hear a very appreciable difference in cables myself. I think for gigging (i.e. lots of plugging, unplugging, moving stuff around, and moving you around while plugged in), KOC is right - you want something quality enough that you can trust not to crackle and spit at you mid-gig when the joint goes. Otherwise, you'll probably notice more of a diference from the length of cable and number of connections than you will with a brand or perceived audiophile grade of a cable. A good buffer will overcome the length of cable issue, and true bypass loops and/or fewer pedals/effects units will help with the number of connections. If you're handy at soldering you could always make your own. Then you know you can trust the quality of the joints :)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:08 am 

If you're going to be gigging, I suggest george l's. If it's good enough for Eric Johnson... lol

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 pm 

I would have to disagree. I own Road Hog cheap $10 cables, and an Ibanez $12 cable. The Ibanez cleaner, but does affect the tone. The Road Hog adds a little distortion. My Radioshack coupler cable buzzes when its touched. My cousin has nicer Planet Waves cables with the locking springs on the connectors. They cut down on buzzing and sound so much better, with a lifetime warranty. Also, a coat hanger would be more susceptible to picking up interference because it is not insulated in any way.