Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:06 pm 

What kit or circuit can get the Opiate-Undertow Marshall 1970s Bass Amp sound? I am using a Line 6 Spider Valve.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:43 pm 

I'm pretty sure that guy always uses at least two amps at the same time. From what I've read it's usually a Marshall and a Mesa (recto) and possibly a Diesel. It's a very distinctive sound and I don't think you could nail it perfectly with your setup... but you should be able to get close with that amp. But if you REALLY want to nail it you are going to need two amps and a couple of 4x12 cabs at least.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:16 pm 

The hard part about getting a sound from an album is that it's often not the same as the live gear set up. Usually guitars are multi tracked and EQ'd and processed in the studio. Then when the time to tour comes around, there's a lot of work put into getting a rig together that will let them come close, but also be flexible enough to cover the whole thing.

What aspects are you trying to get? It's been a while since I've listened to Undertow, as I prefer Lateralus. I like the super tight distortion that's probably closest approximated with the shredder.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:20 pm 

Yea you are probably right. I know the live setup he uses. Its a Diezel VH4 Blueface, a Silverface, an old Marshall Bass amp, The marshall has its own Marshall cab and each Deizel has a MESA Recto cab, slanted, with a wood overhang. The effects part is a Earnie BAll Volume, a Dunlop 535Q wah, two Boss PSM-5s, an MXR Micro Amp, A Boss Flanger, DOD fx40B eq, Boss DD-3 Delay, and a Line 6 DL4 So far I have a Morley Lynch wah, a PSM-5, and a DOD FX40B. The eq really gets close to the right sound, and the PSM-5, although is not an effect, does seem to add to the tone. The Spider Valves have a STINKFIST preset, which is based on a MESA Dual Rect. I can come close with my own adjustment but not that precise, sort of blueish distorted, tamed tone the Marshall has. One way I have been able to get a Marshallish tone is by turning down the volume knob on my guitar.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:28 pm 

I was looking for a decent distortion pedal to give me a sort of Aenima/Lateralus style distortion. Was wondering whether the shredder would get anywhere close? Not looking for the EXACT tone as I'm aware that that's pretty much unobtainable with the cheap gear I have, played through a Laney VC-15, but something that will sound pretty good. Any suggestions welcomed, byoc or commercial, whatever!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:28 pm 

From the sound clips I've heard, the shredder can get close. I spent a great deal of time considering between that and the Mouse recently. Because of a limited budget I had to choose carefully. I went with the Mouse, because it seems to be a bit more flexible, and I've already got an old Boss HM-2 (I bought it used in 1990). with my band, I need flexible, as we run the gamut from Alice in Chains to the Eagles in our covers, and alt-country to modern metal with our originals.

Personally, I get a very tight metal distortion using a little compression, and then going into my Line 6 Spider 2 on the Metal channel, with the gain up to about 2:00.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:14 am 

I was weighing up the Mouse and the Shredder too. I dunno, I'd still like both, but I play quite a bit of metal so will probably get the shredder first. Play a lot of Tool, so yeah it's the shredder for me I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:06 pm 

Well I don't know how much money you guys are willing to spend, but I found the Line 6 Spider Valve to be a very flexible, great sounding amp for under a grand. It has a Stinkfist preset, along with 350+ others, and it almost nails Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days. It may be the next best thing to getting a Diezel or a Mesa, and for only $700 for the 1X12, you can't go wrong. Its 100% tube with a Celestion Vintage 30, and contains some of the same components found in the Bogner, hints the Bogner badge on the front. I previously owned a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt. It was good for the money, but solid state does not even come close to having tubes! There is so much more sustain and the ability to get so many tones out of it, its amazing. I will say it is not built really great. My first one had to be taken back for a replacement because it buzzed like crazy. And I was worried about whether the amp would still work if the preset section with the little screen would render the amp useless if it broke. Picture on the internet of the inside show that it is separate and is connected with a few cables to the main tube amp board. The inside of the amp is surprisingly clean and uncluttered. I had a 20% off coupon for Musicians Friend, so I did not pay full price. All of you should definatly check it out and you will not be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:46 pm 

I went back and listened to some Tool this weekend (iPods rock when mowing the lawn), and I think that a slight bit of Phaser or Flanger is in order to get the sound, too. A very slow and shallow sweep should do.

I've been considering a Spider Valve combo. How well does it take stomp boxes in front of the input? My Spider II 30 doesn't like my LPB on the Metal and Insane channels, but does OK on Clean and Crunch. The rest seem to be OK, though. It's a shame because I really need the Boost for solos.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:43 am 

Yeah, he uses loads of Flanger, especially live. Just listen to the end of Third Eye for an example. Still can't decide on the Shredmaster or the Rat tough..

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:21 pm 

The Spider Valve does pretty well with effects. The effects loop sucks. It adds alot of hiss and distortion with what I tried. I run mine through the front. Wah pedals through the amp seem to respond different. My cousin has a Marshall DSL-50 and wah pedals, (Morley and Dunlop) do better through his. It seems to limit the wah's range. There is some added hum with effects in front of it. Not too much though. The built-in noise gate is really limited. Its either on or its off, theres not way to adjust it. You can also bypass the presets when powering the amp on, which really helps, this will set the amp up with where your knobs are at the time. There is a compare mode where you can compare a custom-made setting with an existing preset. There is one big thing that bothers me about the amp. First, I am too poor for a shortboard to switch channels. When you hit one of the channel buttons on the amp, whatever volume setting the particular preset is at is what its at when engaged, which means when you have it at a comfortable volume and go to switch channels, if the presets have not been altered, you get a loud blast of feedback and annoying squeals. I've got into the habit of turning down my guitars volume knob before switching channels. This will work until I go through a make adjustments. and another warning, many people on the Line 6 discussion boards have said that their Spider Valves were biased cold from the factory, like the 20 something range. Dispite these minor issues, its a great amp.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:23 am 

I really like the Line6 stuff... although I mostly consider it something I would use for practice. Those spider valves look neat I want to give one a try sometime. I have a Toneport (UX2) and I've gotten TONS of use out of it. Great for practice and making demos.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:29 am 

It would be great for gigs. Its lite and versital. If you get serious, maybe consider the stack. Its 100 watts, more than enough. They have cabs with v30s but if your paying that much you might as well get a Mesa or Marshall cab. And an amp for backup may not be a bad idea since I do not think they are build as well as they should. Give one a try, use your guitar and your effects when doing so.