Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I' Am Burnt!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:21 pm 

Hey Guys, I am burnt! I am taking a break for a little while with this DIY pedal stuff. I knew nothing on January 1st, 2008 and learned a lot in a short time, 99% of it from you guys here on this board. Thanks a lot. But I am burnt.

Lately, I can't get anything to work. Even pedals I have made before. I am stockpiling parts, non-working populated PCBs, unfinished enclosures and frustration. I have about a dozen good, working new pedals I made myself. I guess thats pretty good. But I am burnt.

I just don't have the time for this addiction. Between the full-time job, wife, wonderful-but-hyper 20-month-old son, band, helping my wife with her business, etc. I just can't devote the time. I have ideas but no time to execute. I am constantly rushing to get some building, etching, painting, etc. done and the fun is gone. I went from enjoying a little social crystal meth at a club to stealing money or selling my a** to buy any drug in a back alley. I am burnt.

I will finish up any etching for boards I promised to people. Actually etching is the only thing that works for me anymore. Obviously I will check my PMs about the boards. I probably peek to see what you guys are up to here and there. But you won't "see" me around too much. I need a break. I am burnt.

Not trying to be overdramatic, just partly venting and partly letting you guys know.

Later,
Rob

Post subject: Re: I' Am Burnt!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 pm 

It's easy to over-do any really fun hobby. I take breaks from time to time as well. In fact, learning to build pedals was my break from brewing beer. It was a little longer break that I expected, but now I'm energized to get back to brewing.

Enjoy the break!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:13 pm 

Hey Rob;
Take some time and kick back. Grab one of Culturejams brews and relax.
Drop around when you can, and say 'hi' when you do.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:44 pm 

red C wrote:
Hey Rob;
Take some time and kick back. Grab one of Culturejams brews and relax.
Drop around when you can, and say 'hi' when you do.

Sad to say, I don't have any of my own at the moment. :cry:

Next brew will be a darker Belgian style. Probably something along the lines of Corsendonk Brown, but maybe I'll hop it a little more punchy. 8)

And if any of you guys are ever in my neighborhood, you can drop by for a homebrew. (starting about 4 weeks or so from now. :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 am 

I took about a six month break recently and played xbox during my pedal building time. One evening after everyone was asleep I went downstairs to turn the xbox on and thought, "No, I think I want to head out to the lab". It goes in waves for me. I've been going gangbusters for a month or two now and I'm sure I'll level of again at some point. I can say that after a break, the broken stuff is easier to fix. You'll look a things differently so go play some xbox or frisbee golf or whatever, this site will be waiting when you get back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 am 

I've actually been pretty much taking a break for 6 weeks or so. I've worked a bit here and there on populating a board or two, but nothing serious. I needed the break to focus on a couple other hobbies, and get the motorcycle up and running for the riding season. Now I'm totally energized to get back to the pedals. I have so many things -almost- finished, and can't wait to start pushing them over that edge and getting stuff done. Then I'll be high on paint fumes for a while when I'm finishing all the enclosures ;)

One thing I didn't take a break from was this forum. I don't know why, I can't get away from it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:29 am 

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the insight. Yes, the board will probably be a harder habit to break.(As you can see.)
I definitely will be checking in and contributing from time to time, but I just need a break from the solder and paint fumes.

BTW -CJ, I got Your Big Daddy Perfboard Layout populated, if I am itching for some DIY pedal building I will tackle that first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:46 am 

sounds like the same mistake i made. learned a lot, then got in over my head trying to sell stuff. got burned out a bit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am 

I'm at the stage where I have several boards 98% populated, but need to get a few elusive components, which I can't get all from one place in the UK.

I blankly refuse to pay extortionate shipping costs for something smaller than the stamp on the envelope, so am thinking, "why did I even bother to start these projects?" ... and have, on occasion, been tempted to junk the whole lot and get a life instead. :lol: