Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:57 am 

Wondering if anyone can help. I've seen plenty of diagrams for wiring a tele (with 'normal' sigle coils) with a four-way switch but it doesn't translate with Lace Sensors. I've searched and searched (and asked Lace) but to no avail.

Is it possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers!

PS: off to see Radiohead tonight - some will be jealous, some will rather eat their own flesh, I'm sure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:17 am 

Do the lace pickups' ground leads connect to anything other than the coils? You may not need to run a separate ground lead if they do.

I have a set of Bill Lawrence L200s and the neck pickup does not have a cover. I just followed the wiring diagram, excluding that part and it worked just fine.

Actually, while there was no cover on the neck pickup, I did need to run a separate lead from the brass plate under the bridge, same principle. Basically you are just trying to avoid your shielding from turning into a noise antenna when you have the pups in series. If the Lace Sensors don't have any grounded sheilding you should be ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:29 am 

Simple answer is I don't really know... According to their wiring diagram (http://lacemusic.com/wiring/pdf/2.pdf): "Tie white & green wires together (Ground) and solder to volume pot. Take orange wires (hot) and connect to switch where noted by blue arrows."

Does that mean they have two ground wires? If so, do I need to seperate them for a four-way?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 am 

From the Diagram, the convention they seem to be using is that the Green wire is the dedicated ground. I would try the 4-way wiring diagram using the white lead as the - lead, the orange lead as the + lead, and the Green as the ground. If that doesn't work, swap the white and green. You could use a multimeter to test which lead is connected to the ground plate in the pup as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 pm 

Thanks the recluse, will try that. And report back after.

Just need to get a new neck for my Tele first, but this helps me get all my ducks in a row, and all that.

Much better forum than anywhere else!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:31 pm 

take a look at this,...
http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/images/4waytelemod.pdf

you'll need to go ahead and solder the green and white on the bridge together and wire as shown, however, for the neck, you need to separate them and wire them as shown on the above chart. if you get excessive noise from the neck pickup, swap the connections of the white and green wires on the neck pickup.