Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:46 pm 

Dear BYOC peeps,

I play guitar in a band. Wanna hear a song?

http://www.togetherwecanrulethegalaxy.com/

I guess I play "lead" on this song. 1978 Fender Telecaster Deluxe->evidence audio cable -> 1968 Fender Dual Showman (with only 2 RI Tungsol 6l6 STR) -> Weber Mass 150 -> 2x12 piggyback EV (pulled from some PA cabs).

The other guitar is my Fender Mustang Special Pawnshop into a JCM800 50w into a avatar 2/12 with V30's.

Recorded at Nutone studios in Pitsburg CA.
http://www.nu-tone-studios.com/index.htm

Feedback welcome.

Last edited by Dr.Ryan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:49 pm 

Other than "for the attention," I guess one reason why I posted this would be for people to hear how I am getting more breakup from my Showman. I pull two tubes, use pretty crunchy power tubes http://thetubestore.com/tungsol6l6gc.html, bridge the channels (norm driver EH 12AX7, vib driver RI Mullard 12AX7) both volumes on 5.5, with the Weber Mass at about 10 o'clock for low/mids, and 2 o'clock for highs. I think the Weber Mass also takes care of the impedance mismatch caused by pulling the two power tubes (remember, inner or outer pair, and re-bias!).

Why not just buy a blackface Bassman? You got me there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 pm 

Nicely done. I'm no expert on Fender amps and pullin' tubes, and everything, but it sounds good.

Sort of 3 parts "Taking Back Sunday", and 1 part "The Cure"? Hopefully, you'll take that as a compliment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 am 

really enjoyed the track. nice playing! And the tone ain't bad either. :wink:

Scott C wrote:
Sort of 3 parts "Taking Back Sunday", and 1 part "The Cure"?

I've gotta go with 3 parts Toad the Wet Sprocket, 1 part Tool. Also intended as a compliment. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:43 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'd have to say, one part At The Drive-In, one part Social Distortion (my cheesy solo), one part Braid, and one part Twilight Zone.

I forgot to mention that the lead tone was the same rig with an HBE Powerscreamer, which I purchased before the onset of my addiction to solder fumes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:07 am 

I love how your rig is so simple you list what cable you used. simple rigs are the way to go

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:37 am 

Great tone.

Love the song too. Right up my alley. I'm glad I kept listening because the bridge is cool and then you keep building the song and never going back to the verses. Nice arranging.

Kudos all around. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:07 pm 

therealerob wrote:
I love how your rig is so simple you list what cable you used. simple rigs are the way to go

Well, when I record, if am not using a pedal, then I go straight into the amp. In general, I use pedals as accents or gimmicks- sparingly. I don't have the talent or concentration to do much tap dancing live, so I try to rely on the sound of a good guitar connected to a good amp to do most of the work.

Getting more involved with building pedals is challenging the whole "keep it simple" ethic though...

I should post a new topic about how I use the Evidence Audio Monorail cable in with George L connectors in my board- solid core directional cable. Electrons... its all about electrons...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:10 pm 

Bump for another EP release. This features that tele I nodded a while back with dual minihums, and stacked concentric vol/tone knobs... most of the guitar tones are my showman, a 67 baseman I did a cap job on, and the studio's badcat.

The bass tone is neat: a blend of direct and SF bassman 100 for crunch.

http://Twcrtg.bandcamp.com