Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Epiphones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:37 pm 

I invested in a 57 reissue strat last christmas and I’m lookin to get a cheaper humbucking guitar in the future, also want to do the tom morello toggle switch thing.so I was lookin at the epiphone les paul copies. Are these guitars any good. I live in Ireland and can get epiphone les paul standard for about 450Euros and Customs sell for about 629Euros.Would it be worth going extra for the Custom. Anyone have one of these guitars. Any others else I should consider.Want a half decent humbucker to complement my strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:35 pm 

Long story short, Musicians friend handles their returns about 20 minutes from where I live...Instead of repackaging guitars that are sent back, they sell them out of there warehouse. I was contemplating buying an epi paul for a while, and after playing a ton of them, I realized that they make some good instruments and some crappy ones--I'd be weary of ordering one through the mail because of this. It's not a finish thing at all, it just seems that some are made with dead wood. I ended up paying $250 for one that sounded great accoustically, and dropped in some Duncan '59s (another $120) new pots and switches (about another $40) and now have an akwardly amazing guitar. I have a Gibson ES347 with custome pups and a Gibson SG standard, and the Epi may very well sound better than both of them. I'm confident that it could hold its own in a blind taste test with many Gibson Les Pauls...

I guess what I'm saying is that some Epis are fine, just play them first. Also, the electronics are pretty crappy. Swapping pups made a massive difference--like lifting a blanket off of an amp. The switches on the Epis are also a little hankie, and the bridge is pretty cheap. If you're looking for an axe to play off the rack, an Edwards or even a Reverend might be a better choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:29 pm 

Epi's can be great guitars with little to no work. But some are total crap, def. try before you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:58 pm 

I have an Epi LP Deluxe. Meaning it came with Mini-Humbuckers. Really nice guitar! Heavy, nice rosewood neck, nice paint (metalic red), with cream binding. the PUPs were crappy though. All i have done is upgraded it and sounds great. Some grover tuners, Seymor Duncan PUPs with push/pull bridge pots, for some single coil split and parralel sounds.

BYOC Pedals - AnalogChorus, MKII Fuzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm 

"and dropped in some Duncan '59s (another $120) new pots and switches (about another $40) "

What particular pots and switches did you put in?do you have a web link?
What it an epi standard or custom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:09 pm 

Epis are very good guitars. Just frightfully inconsistent, I'd try like 10 out before I chose one, and then give it an electronics overhaul. Epis also have a more hollow cavity nowadays, which equals less weight, but a different tone as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:47 pm 

I would spend the few dollars more and go for an Edwards. They come stock with Seymour Duncans (real, not "duncan designed").
I have the John Sykes model and loved it so much that It is now my main guitar. I have 3 American Strats that now hang on the wall, one of them is an Eric Johnson.
I just ordered another Edwards white custom LP, I hope I like it as much as the JS.
I never thought a jap guitar had soul and vibe until now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:00 pm 

I have a EPI LP "Plaintop" this is the only one in their affordable line that has a solid mahogany body with a plain(no flame) maple top. The ones that are flamed and the standard are alder w/ a mahogany veneer and a thin but fancy looking flametop. That said i dont know if that matters or not to you. (surprisingly it was only 375.00 us). What was said in the other posts holds true..play before you buy, seriously. I played 8 at the damn guitar center (got a gift card) None of them were set up, but no guitars at GC are, even 3000.00 ones :shock: . They all felt different, some had crackley pots and switches, some buzzed a lot some had knobs pushed to the body! The first one I bought I took home and the next day discovered that the 19th fret was lifted out of the fretboard!! took it back and found one that "wasn't in stock yesterday". Plays perfect, neck is smooth and straight, fret ends are filed. All in all nice. I did buy it for the neck and body only though. I yanked all the pots, jack, switch, pickups and wiring. (cts, switchcraft, orange drop, and Seymour Duncan pearly gates) and put some speed knobs and nickel p/u covers on. Now I have a kick ass Les Paul and spent @ 700.00 total. But you MUST try before you buy especially if your not modding it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 am 

i have an epiphone sg and i am quite happy with it, and another bonus to it is that because of the lower price i won't have any problems replacing parts on it since i feel once you start spending a certain amount of money on something you shouldn't be replacing things on it, i mean why go out and buy a $3000 guitar if you are going to replace all the hardware on it? you can spend under $500 for a guitar and replace every thing and still have a guitar that will be as good as the $3000 one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 am 

Gav...I used a switchcraft switch, allparts pots and orange drop caps--largely because I had them all lying around. I also have a plaintop model...I didn't know that it was solid mahogany, but it makes sense--the thing is a beast. Ended up leaving the gibby's on the stands again last night at practice and played the epi. Now to replace the headstock with one that says "gibson".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:35 am 

StillLearnin' wrote:
Gav...I used a switchcraft switch, allparts pots and orange drop caps--largely because I had them all lying around. I also have a plaintop model...I didn't know that it was solid mahogany, but it makes sense--the thing is a beast. Ended up leaving the gibby's on the stands again last night at practice and played the epi. Now to replace the headstock with one that says "gibson".

I would just keep the Epi logo on there because the only people who would know what the difference is guitar players and a few musicians. However, they should also know its the player and not the gear, and if they don't know, they might learn if they see you with the Epi. Seriously, it just strikes as funny as how some mods just seem to be done to impress other guitarists...its about the sounds and not a freaking fashion show. I own a few Squiers, and I'm proud to say I own a few Squiers, and I'm not going to change the name on the headstock because even if everyone else thinks its a Fender, I'll always know its a Squier. I don't know, its just my opinion, but I'd much rather see someone play the hell out of some cheaper gear, than watch a dude with all this high dollar stuff but can't strum a 3 chord progression in time, cause those dudes always end up in the band I am in anyways...;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:47 am 

It's tough to do "tongue in cheek" on a web posting, but that's what I was trying to do. The headstock isn't going anywhere.

I'm still chuckling about the guy with the randall half-stack that's never played a gig. I always laugh when I see a "new" looking 4 x 12 cabinet. It's a clear sign that the dude who owns it has no idea what it's for.

Last edited by StillLearnin' on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 am 

AmberBock wrote:
I would spend the few dollars more and go for an Edwards. They come stock with Seymour Duncans (real, not "duncan designed").
I have the John Sykes model and loved it so much that It is now my main guitar. I have 3 American Strats that now hang on the wall, one of them is an Eric Johnson.
I just ordered another Edwards white custom LP, I hope I like it as much as the JS.
I never thought a jap guitar had soul and vibe until now.

Hi AB,
Where are you ordering from?

Geek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:44 am 

StillLearnin' wrote:
It's tough to do "tongue in cheek" on a web posting, but that's what I was trying to do. The headstock isn't going anywhere.

I'm still chuckling about the guy with the randall half-stack that's never played a gig. I always laugh when I see a "new" looking 4 x 12 cabinet. It's a clear sign that the dude who owns it has no idea what it's for.

Dude, thats what Emoticons are for ;) See? hahaha....

As far as the Randall, I think he might have gotten a good deal on it used, but he walks a fine line between Dimebag imitation and appreciation, so he would've gotten it at some point anyways. Its cool he digs Dimes playing, but whats the point of getting all the same equipment unless we're starting a Pantera-tribute band? Sorry just thinking out aloud on a conversation I should be having with the other guitarist...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:25 pm 

Geek,

I ordered through ISHIBASHI Music in Japan.

I have been happy with them. THe service is top notch and they take packing seriously.
I paid $1629.00 for an Eric Johnson Strat, then spent another $125 getting it to play decent. (still not quite happy though)
THe Jap LP, came from Japan almost in tune and the stock setup is excellent.
I was leary about doing business with an overseas store, but they turned out to be honest and decent people.

If I like the white LP that is coming, I may even try an EDWARDS Strat copy. (watch ebay for 3 american strats that may be looking for new homes)

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/w ... N&wb_dis=2

You have to e-mail them with the model number you want and they will send instructions for payment.

TIP: Be very polite and proper in your e-mails, ISHIBASHI uses words like "please, thank you, dear"

PS, I'm not a 15 year old kid that knows almost nothing about quality instruments. I'm a 43 year old mechanical Engineer that has owned/played/traded guitars since 13 years of age.
1970's Hamers, BC Rich's, Gibsons, Fenders, Guilds, and one early 80's Japan Squire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:44 pm 

Hey AB,
You sounded like you knew what you were talking about to me! One more hijack, beg your pardon. How much was the Edwards Paul?

Thanks
Geek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:54 pm 

I was wondering how much as well, since the prices listed on the site are in yen. I looked up current values of currency, and 1 dollar is 117 yen, and 1 yen is .00853 dollars. What it worked out to was a 70,000 yen guitar is just under $600. Nice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:01 pm 

Geek and Tonedeaf,

When I got my first one, it was 128 yen to one dollar. The shipping was 14000 yen.
The yen to dollar ratio fluctuates, but when you e-mail them, they quote a price and that price is locked for you. I think I paid $682 total for the first one. My credit card statement hasn't gotten here on the second one yet. I think it was $714 (laquer series is slightly higher in price)

My white LP Custom just got here today. It is in the 90 series with laquer topcoat.

The topcoat of laquer is misted on and not buffed, it has sort of vintage/matte look to it.
The bridge, tailpiece and pickup covers have the same misted laquer finish over the gold plating.
When I first took it out of the box and tuned it up, I thought that the neck would feel sticky and I wasn't crazy about the matte look.
After playing it for a couple of hours and making friends with it, the back of the neck is getting smooth and shiny. The laquer is also wearing off on the bridge where I rest my palm.
The neck never had a sticky feel like I was fearing.
The soul and vibe are present, as well as the growling tones of ZZ Top/AC-DC.

The reason I got the laquered one is I wanted the vintage white. If I knew it wasn't buffed, I would have gotten the 85 series in what looks like Alpine white. But I do think the vintage white will age gracefully and the laquer will buff just from use.

My black one grabbed me from hello, the white one had to prove itself to me.
When I ordered these things sight unseen from a foriegn country, I was expecting the worst.

Sound/tone/quality/workmanship/materials used/playability/price, I have not yet run across a better deal.

THe only things I changed were: on the black JS, it had a chromed plastic trim switch bezel that looked cheesy and had molding flash. I also didn't care for the knobs on either one.
I got speedknobs and a switch bezel from stewmac. Now both guitars look great.

TIP: get the toggle switch wrench from stewmac, it costs $18, but it will save your paint and switch hardware from being pliered to death. It also comes in handy "when" your LP switch comes loose, not if, when.

THe JS has Duncan Distortions, the white one has a '59 and a JB (Jeff Beck)

Once you figure out their model numbering system, getting the features you want is easy.
Overall, I have two nice customs for about what a Gibson LP Studio costs.

I also searched the internet looking for somebody that didn't like their Edwards guitars, I didn't find one. THe only negative thing I found was a couple of guys thought the figured tops were solid figured woods, not veneer over maple. If you know the price of woods, nobody can build solid figured 1/2" thick tops for the price these sell for. Besides that, Fender played the veneer trick on us for about $1800 a few years ago, and got away with it. Fender even sold us Ash veneer over alder for $1200 and got way with it. (I didn't know ash was such a rare wood :wink:)

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:08 pm 

Have you looked at the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany guitar at Guitar Center. It's going for $799. It doesn't have a maple top or lacquer finish, but it's a nice guitar for the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:19 pm 

wingnut1 wrote:
Have you looked at the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany guitar at Guitar Center. It's going for $799. It doesn't have a maple top or lacquer finish, but it's a nice guitar for the price.

Those are nice but they are inconsistent as well. check the fret ends, these are unbound fretboards and some of the ones i played had less than comfortable frets. Otherwise its a LP and it comes with a tkl hardshell case. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 am 

don't you just love translations done by people that don't speak the language it is being translated to? here is what it said about the edwards E-HR-135QM

Various situations correspond because an outside ..each ham backer.. coil (changeable side) is compulsorily connected with one switch by the parallel (parallel) though it is two ham backer specification to digest ..fat.. sound with ..decrease.. V without difficulty. Because it is an arch by a beautiful curve moreover and a top body, a peculiar sense of existence and settling down can be said the guitar to exquisiteness in ..Sharp.. image the hybrid to make it coexist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:27 am 

Brownie wrote:
don't you just love translations done by people that don't speak the language it is being translated to? here is what it said about the edwards E-HR-135QM

Various situations correspond because an outside ..each ham backer.. coil (changeable side) is compulsorily connected with one switch by the parallel (parallel) though it is two ham backer specification to digest ..fat.. sound with ..decrease.. V without difficulty. Because it is an arch by a beautiful curve moreover and a top body, a peculiar sense of existence and settling down can be said the guitar to exquisiteness in ..Sharp.. image the hybrid to make it coexist.

With that said, why wouldn't everyone go out and buy one. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:49 am 

Hey Amber, do you like John Sykes or just the guitar? I think JS is an amazing guitar player. My favorite shredders: Jake E Lee, John Sykes, Vernon Reid, Warren DeMartini.

Let it be known I'm a singer/songwriter who loves that genre but i also love listening to these guys shred every once in awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 am 

AmberBock - thanks for the tips and info! This is going on my 'short list' for my next guitar.

Brownie - holy crap - I didn't get a word out of that except maybe 'ham backer' - HA! have you guys seen the Monty Python Holy Grail DVD? There's a special feature where they show the Trojan Rabbit scene. It's been dubbed in Japanese (for the Japan market for the DVD) and then they backtranslated to English for the subtitles. It's like that paragraph - not even close! Way too funny. Props to anyone who is bilingual English and Japanese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 pm 

Knight of Cups wrote:
Hey Amber, do you like John Sykes or just the guitar? I think JS is an amazing guitar player. My favorite shredders: Jake E Lee, John Sykes, Vernon Reid, Warren DeMartini.

Let it be known I'm a singer/songwriter who loves that genre but i also love listening to these guys shred every once in awhile.

I like John Sykes. The Blue Murder album rocks. I had most of the Tygers of Pan Tang on vinyl.
I got excited when Gibson came out with the JS Les Paul, at $4500 to $8000, my excitement died.

And to the guy that thinks the Edwards are hardly worth buying, I hope people keep thinking that way. As soon as my credit card is paid off, I'll be getting a Standard LP from the bi-lingual funny translators of the far east and the price needs to stay low. If these get too popular, the price will go up and the quality will go down.
:razz: Remember Kids, stay in school and GIBSON Rules! :razz:

:twisted: Buy GIBSON, all your favorite rock stars are playing Gibson. Only a Gibson is good enough.:twisted: