Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2017 Rig Rundowns
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:20 pm 

Hey all! Thought we should start the year off with some rig rundowns. I always enjoy the premier guitar rundowns monthly (print not video) and figured it could be fun to do them here with our gear.
Rules are simple:

1. Post pictures and captions of your guitar rig
2. Only post your main guitar, amp and pedal board. This would be the setup that best exemplifies YOUR sound.
3. Guitars only, we will do a bass rig rundown in a different thread.
I know many of you have multiple guitars and amps, but this is your primary rig that tells us a little about you.
I'll post mine as an example:
Guitar: Schecter 30th anniversary S-1 all stock
Amp: Mesa Boogie Mark V head. Channel 1 set to fat clean, channel 2 is crunch with lower gain, channel 3 is Mark IV with tons of gain. Speaker can is an Avatar 212 contemporary loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Weber Blue Dog.
Pedalboard: Basic pedaltrain with a pedaltrain nano as a back tier lift. Guitar plugs into the volume pedal which is a confidence boost with the trim pot set to my max volume and the treadle pot as a volume control. That goes via pedalsnake to the amp input. The amp effect loop send goes via pedalsnake to the DOD Icebox chorus then the TC Nova Delay and back to the amp effect return. The footswitch on the lower half of the board is the stock Mark V unit. All power to the board is run through the pedalsnake to a power supply in a rack case where all of my gear plugs in.

My tone is a big clean sound with little effects, a light crunch sound with no effects and my lead tone is high gain with chorus and delay. I will occasionally swap a pedal in for a specific thing, but when I play a gig or write music, this is the setup I use.
Enjoy and I can't wait to see some of your rigs!
-Patrick

Post subject: Re: 2017 Rig Rundowns
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm 

Cool thread P!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:27 pm 

Yeah, cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing these, and will add my own when I'm back in the office on Tuesday.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

No bass!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 pm 

Come on guys, let's see those rigs!
And Jimi, I am going to start a new one for bass in a week or two, I'm waiting on a key component to my rig to arrive ;-).
You could start a bass rig rundown if you can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 pm 

Been pretty solid on this setup for a bit now.

Attachment:
16009911_1057256674403904_218833354_o.jpg
16009911_1057256674403904_218833354_o.jpg [ 353.49 KiB | Viewed 17561 times ]

C-1

Attachment:
10251937_550796145026396_8349678885339020985_n.jpg
10251937_550796145026396_8349678885339020985_n.jpg [ 353.86 KiB | Viewed 17561 times ]

Sloclone

Attachment:
13490746_850373721735302_2323261603128719469_o.jpg
13490746_850373721735302_2323261603128719469_o.jpg [ 541.39 KiB | Viewed 17561 times ]

Pedals

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:22 pm 

patrickbrose wrote:
Come on guys, let's see those rigs!
And Jimi, I am going to start a new one for bass in a week or two, I'm waiting on a key component to my rig to arrive ;-).
You could start a bass rig rundown if you can't wait!

:p
My rig is at my practice place. It's a new band and I haven't nailed down the whole rig just yet. What new toy are you waiting on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:03 pm 

EBS Reidmar 750 and an Avatar SB210 Neo cab. Kinda doing an overhaul of the bass rig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 pm 

Here's my current rig:

Attachment:
WIN_20170127_12_08_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170127_12_08_06_Pro.jpg [ 316.97 KiB | Viewed 17318 times ]

The amp is a Trinity Tramp built by me from their kit. Has an NOS GE 12ax7 for a pre and the power tube is the oh-so-wonderful NOS Tung Sol 5881.

The guitar is not the only one I play at home with this rig, it was just the one that was out :) Standard Tele HH modded with Railhammer Hyper Vintage buckers.

The pedal board is a Pedal Train Metro 16 with a mini TC PolyTune, a TC SubUp, Keeley Tone, Mod, and Delay Workstations plus the fabulous Keeley Dark Side. TC Ditto tops it all off.

Cable is the very nice Bullet 10 footer.

I can do pretty much what I want with this little rig. The amp supplies an absolutely beautiful base tone, the pedals add the sauce...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:42 pm 

On average I use four guitars as I like to use different tunings and I don’t like to retune everything during a show.
My second guitar build. More like I finished what was started by luthier Bas Wierink. He suggested I finish it as part of his guitar building class. Neck bought on Ebay, body built by Bas.
Electronics & hardware: Fernandes Sustainer driver and kit, Fender Texas Special middle pickup, Bareknuckle Pickup Nailbomb bridge humbucker, pushbutton and toggle kill switches, Amptone MIDI touchscreen, Guitarfetish bridge and locking tuners. The tremolo spring cavity has a tremstopper to prevent detuning in case of string breaking and which also allows for easy detuning to drop D.
Probably the most versatile guitar in my arsenal and if I had to absolutely gig with only one guitar I’d probably pick this one. It’s a hard rocking guitar that doesn’t look like one. Just the way I like my guitars. Currently used exclusively for all things in drop-D tuning.

My third guitar build, and the first time I built the guitar body myself. Also the first guitar I built with a locking tremolo. While it doesn’t look the part this is a Pink Floyd themed guitar. Two Fender Texas Specials neck and middle pickups, like David Gilmour’s black Strat a Seymour Duncan SS-5 high output bridge pickup, Ibanez LoPro Edge locking tremolo, Guitarfetish locking tuners, push button and toggle kill switches. And the one thing I’m most proud of, a Crybaby wah circuit placed internally. Why would I want that you ask? Echoes. Especially the middle part with the seagull screams. Which were created by reversing the in- and output of David’s wah. Which I now can do with the flick of a switch.
This has become the favourite of my self built guitars and used for all things in standard tuning. The Texas Specials sound great and warm yet chimey for all things clean, while the SS5 can shred with the best humbuckers.

I’ve wanted a 7 string for a long time, but I hate that all the commercially available 7 strings are basically metal guitars with a metal look. And while I like my metal \m/, I don’t want to play a heavy metal guitar. I wanted a 7 string Tele. So I had to build one. This was the first time I build a guitar neck from scratch. Originally I wanted a Gotoh bridge so I could install a MIDI touchscreen, but alas, I f***ed my template so the guitar neck turned out to be too narrow for that bridge. So we used a Tunematic instead. Which meant no MIDI touchscreen.
Electronics & hardware: Sustainiac 7 string driver and sustainer circuit, Bareknuckle Pickups 7 string Ceramic Nailbomb, Guitarfetish locking tuners, Tunematic bridge, push button and toggle switch killswitches. I plan to replace the Ceramic Nailbomb with the Alnico version as the Ceramic has a bit of a mids scoop which makes this guitar drown a bit in the mix when using the low notes. Used for everything in drop-A and regular 7 string tuning.

The only factory build guitar I still use. Laura is a Korean Lite Ash Telecaster and probably my most modified guitar. It currently has push button and toggle kill switches, an Amptone MIDI touchscreen, a Gotoh bridge, Guitarfetish staggered locking tuners, Bareknuckle pickups Mississippi Queen P90’s. In order to fit the MIDI touchscreen I had to replace the old bridge with the Gotoh bridge and drill 6 new holes for the through the body string holes. Also a control cavity had to be routed in the back for the touch screen electronics. This guitar is standard downtuned to 1,5 steps to C#. I do love the sound of the P90’s which is a nice warm yet punchy sound. They are however very loud. This is probably my loudest guitar.

Pedal Board
Mostly the MFC-101 controller for the Axe-FX with two EV-5 expression pedals. Added is a small pedal board section controlled from the red looper. Loop 1 has the DD-7, which I only use to sample guitar phrases. Loop2 has the DF-2, used for feedbacking fun, and the WH-1 whammy. Most whammy sounds come from the Axe-FX, but the WH-1 has a few tricks up its sleeve that the Axe doesn’t do (so well). Top right sits a custom patch bay where my guitar signal goes in, enters the board and returns here again before going to the Axe. All signal connections to and from the Axe go via this baby, as I prefer one single access point. The patchbay also has a buffer and a tuner mute out to the Polytune.

Keyboard
Yamaha SX2 keyboard that I use for piano sounds and the occasional synths as well. Going into the Line6 DL-4 for delays and for looping. Next to the keyboard is a Palmer cab with a 12” FRFR speaker and tweeter combo inside, to give me the best possible sound coming from my Axe-FX. I have two cabs for stereo sounds, but only one is FRFR.

Main rig
Lots of goodies. Let me start with the 1x12 Egnater cabinet, which has one of the two stèreo outputs of the Axe FX. Will be replaced by a 1x12 FRFR speaker cabinet in the future. The main rack. This is basically two rigs in one. There the Axe FX II XL+, which I have come to really love. The first modeller which in my opinion delivers what its promises. This baby is so good I pretty much stopped using (and building) my old stompboxes. And amps. I keep on discovering new and interesting ways to use this thing. The fact that it has significantly reduced my pedal tapdancing doesn’t hurt either. Inside the FX Loop of the Axe sits the Line6 M5, as I do like some its sound. Like particle verb. The Axe has two balanced outputs and two unbalanced outputs. The balanced outputs I use to go into a FOH mixer, the unbalanced outputs go into a cabsim splitter at the bottom and then into a Matrix GT1000 poweramp. Which makes modelers sound good even going into regular guitar cabs.
2nd rig that is inside the rack is my synth/Kaoss rig. The Yamaha keyboard and the two Kaoss pads all come together into a Behringer rack mixer before going straight into a FOH mixer. Both Kaoss pads can be controlled via the MIDI touch screens on my guitars through the Kenton wireless MIDI transmitters and receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:43 am 

Sick rigs gents.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:35 pm 

2007 Standard with Tom Holmes pickups, RS pots, Sprague caps, Faber hardware and bone nut.
The board is simpler than in this photo... it goes '69-homemade buffer-GGG 808 clone-EP-BYOC Analog Chorus (yellow/red/blue)-Panther Cub-BYOC Reverb-EB/JHS volume.
#1 amp is a Trinity 18 Watt SIII I built from a kit. It gets fed to a 2x12 semi open cab with a Tone Tubby ceramic and an Alnico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: 2017 Rig Rundowns
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:06 pm 

H

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:11 am 

The truth is that this is my real rig.

I continue to be surprised at how good a tone I can get out of this thing. I run an AC30 emulation with an always on compressor and reverb, and buttons assigned to two TS overdrives (one dirty and one clean boost), a tap tempo dotted eighth delay, a washy ambient delay that oscillates when the treadle is toe down, a CE-2 chorus, and a triplet based tremolo. I run the left side into the house and the right side into a powered wedge (because this sounds like garbage coming through the average monitor tuned for vocals).

But I do miss my amp and pedals sometimes, so I just rewired my pedalboard as so:

Tuner, optical compressor, blues breaker, Stage 3 booster, Silver Pony, Timmy-like, BYOC tremolo (first build ever!), Tri-Vibe, 1776 deluxe reverb, TC Ditto. Goes into the Tweaker 15, set to Vox tone stack and toggled as vintage and clean as I can set it.

And here's my brand new acoustic "rig".

This LR Baggs Venue DI replaced my Pedaltrain mini. Does 90% of what I want on an acoustic board and is a lot simpler to carry around and set up. Tuner and boost are built in, lots of EQ options, and I could stick some other effects in the loop if I really needed delay or verb. TONS of headroom in this, by the way. This thing will take me through St. Patrick's Day gigs quite nicely, I suspect.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am 

SJ, no need to explain. I can fully understand the top rig there. I too, will use something similar when I do gigs with limited space (theater work) or no need for an onstage amp. Mine is a Zoom G3X sent direct to the PA. It sounds decent through the monitor, but surprisingly good through the house. And only schlepping a small multi-stomp does make sense.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 am 

I decided I'll play. This is my performance rig.

I use Alembic Further with TRS Effect loop into effects board into a Bose PS-1 for Amp. No traditional guitar amp.

The Guitar has two instrument jacks. One is a loop that goes from the guitar Pickups+Low Pass Filters (no tone controls) to the effects board (pre volume) then back into the Guitar via a Stereo instrument cable. Then from second jack (post volume) to the Amp. This method ensures the effects always respond the same (especially the Envelope filter) because they always see the full output of the pickups. The Guitar volume controls only decreases the volume of the effects to the Amp.

Next the board, with Pretty Pretty lights illuminated.

#1 (TRS stereo cord splitter) > A/B box (for putting other instruments/effects in) Wally Looper > Eye of the Compressor ( nod to Joe Walsh, Mimosa Jr) > Envelope Filter/Fixed Wah > El Distorto Segundo > Tremolo > Olga (Lil Russian Beaver) > Lil Phaser > Analog Chorus > Flangelicious > Divided Octave > Ernie Ball Volume > Echo Royal > Reverb 2 > TC Electronics Ditto > back to #1 (Trs stereo cord splitter). Powered by a Donner isolated power brick (some Chinese made thingy with a Donner label slapped on it) with an 11 output power brick kit in plexiglass (that's what you see on top) piggybacking off the Donner 500ma jack.

Finally the power plant!

Bose PS-1 Classic with 4 Subs and a Bose Power Pak. All said, 1000 watts of clean amplification. The guitar input is set to patch #34 PRS patch or what I like to call "John Mayer plays Dead" sound. I use the PS-1 for my vocals too.

So that's it. Kind of a BYOC poster child, but after years and tears of using Digital effects the analog pedal kits sound sooooo much better. I do swap around pedals pretty often now because I seem to have increased my choices since starting to roll my own, so to speak. And will roll many more.

Anyway, thanks as always BYOC!

Attachments:
Alembic Further.jpg
Alembic Further.jpg [ 57.31 KiB | Viewed 16455 times ]
Effects Board.jpg
Effects Board.jpg [ 200.72 KiB | Viewed 16455 times ]
Bose.jpg
Bose.jpg [ 82.56 KiB | Viewed 16455 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 am 

Nice job bringing this thread back - it needs to live!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 am 

I've got back to back shows on Saturday at the Made in Tahoe Festival; one with my roots rock band and one with the country band that I play with. This is what I'm bringing:

My trusty tele and my Danelectro DC59 12 string. Amp is my Vibro-Prince (fender 3 knob Reverb into a tweed bassman preamp into a deluxe Reverb power amp)

Pedals include a polytune, phase 90 clone, a Jon Patten Blue Warbler, BYOC lil comp, BYOC lil black key, volume pedal, madbean fat pants boost, BYOC Crown Jewel, BYOC Green Pony, BYOC lil Mouse, Alter Ego delay, and a BYOC Super8 controlling the lot.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 pm 

Thanks Morgan. I really enjoy seeing other people's rigs.

I just changed my pedalboard this past weekend to the above posted configuration, and that was the motivation to get the Rig Rundown post up. For a couple of years I've had my volume pedal in the middle of the board too.

Here's my old effects board...couple of things moved off the board like the Tremolito and Lil Reverb (yellow polka dot box) only to be replaced with equivalents.

Anyway, break a leg at the gig! I'm dying to build a Crown Jewel, and that Sparkle one you have looks sweet!

Attachments:
Old Effects.jpg
Old Effects.jpg [ 60.03 KiB | Viewed 16409 times ]

Last edited by paulman5 on Tue May 30, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 pm 

@Morgan: oh that 12 sting...

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:31 pm 

mmarsh wrote:
@Morgan: oh that 12 sting...

Here ya go, Mike: https://reverb.com/item/5346728-danelec ... ue-sparkle

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 pm 

Pound for pound the best electric 12 strings out there. Easier to play than a ric. Sound wonderful. I set mine up with a straight neck and low action last summer and it still plays perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 pm 

Reissue? I've been looking at those with a LONG eye...

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:43 pm 

@Bob: thanks! I've been watching a couple of the black ones, but that sparkle is nice :)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:47 pm 

@Morgan: is that a Lollar gold foil in the tele? I *love* those! I put a pair in a MIM Deluxe (semi-hollow) that had P-90s. Awesome tone!