Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 pm 

Hi guys - I have a head scratcher here.

I just completed the crown jewel. It seems to work great.

I Tested it by using my bbe Supa charger which is a isolated power supply. Im not using a daisy chain here. Its very quiet. (just pickup noise which can be taken out by a noise supressor).

When I turn on the boost "first" It works, but I get this power supply hum/droning noise.

When I turn the boost "last" the droning noise goes away. This happens with the mosfet and the jfet module. the droning noise gets more intense with the gain knob. Its not terribly loud, but it is there.

I tested this pedal with a one spot powerall type of adapter. No daisy chain. just direct. there's no noise in the boost "first" mode.

just for background info - I had a droning noise when I used the clusterfuzz fuzz pedal, with the BBE supa charger. I realized that I had the switch in the back set to european settings, not US settings. After that, the fuzz pedal is now quiet with no droning hum. I thought for sure, that the crown jewel would not have this issue since the switch is in the right setting.

The bbe supa charger and the powerall one spot adapter both are coming out of the same wall outlet.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I thought the supacharger was good..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:13 am 

I have a supacharger and don't have that noise issue. Have you tried a different power supply tap or cable?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:14 pm 

I think what's going on here is pretty clear. The noise clearly originates from your BBE power supply, which is evident from the fact that the problem goes away with the 1-Spot. Apparently, this noise is filtered out by the overdrive stage of the CJ when it precedes the boost stage. But when the boost is first, it amplifies the noise to an extent that it's audible through the overdrive circuit. I would definitely try what Morgan suggests, but if that doesn't help, I'm not sure that there's much you can do about this other than not powering the CJ with the BBE P/S.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:25 pm 

thank you for the replies!

Yes, its pretty obvious it is the bbe supa charger. thats whats so puzzling, because its supposed to be a good power supply! I will change to a different bbe and a voodoo and see if there are any differences.

ill try a different power cable first though.

.. its always something!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 pm 

Tried a different cable, and even tried a different BBE supa charger altogether. same noise in that certain "first" setting. interesting.

For some reason the powerall works better. Im guessing this is just the way it is!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Did you remember to flip the mislabeled 10uF electrolytic cap around?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:30 pm 

yes I did. I should note, the hum is.. not unbearable. its just very slight, more noticable when gain is turned up.. only when boost is on, and in first position. I tried with 3 bbe power supplies. But Im guessing because the godlyke powerall adapter works very silently, everything was done right. Im very happy with this pedal, and I love playing through it. I really love these builds with these knobs, mods and options.