It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Pink or Blue??
Pink paisley 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Blue paisley 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: Pink or Blue??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:41 pm 

It's ALIVE!! I'll post the gritty assembly details later, but here's a couple of photos. Whaddya think--should I call it "Blue Voodoo?" "Paisley Power?" Sumfin' else?

Attachment:
paisley_tele_full+body.jpg
paisley_tele_full+body.jpg [ 108.4 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:32 pm 

That’s awesome. I’d call it “The Blue One” or “His Blueness”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am 

That happened fast :shock: Looks real sharp!! 8) 8) How does it sound and play?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 pm 

powerpopguy wrote:
How does it sound and play?

Sounds great and plays smoothly & easily. These Neovin noiseless pickups are truly noiseless (they're essentially stacked humbuckers) but still have a very convincing Tele character. Since I already had the classic Tele tone covered with another guitar, I opted for the GFS "Power Rock" set for a hotter sound. GFS recommends 500K pots and a 0.022μf tone cap, and I concur with those choices. I installed the pickups with an Oak Grigsby 4-way blade switch and wired it so that I get the two pickups in series in the 4th switch position. Works like a charm--gives you that second position Tele tone, but thicker, darker and louder.

I didn't have to adjust/shim the neck angle at all to get a nice, medium-low action with no buzzing whatsoever. Didn't even need to adjust the truss rod. I did sand the neck pocket on the body a bit, to insure solid contact with the neck, but that was all. The neck pocket was a good, tight fit with the neck, and I took care to make sure the drilling for the 4 attachment screws was right on the button.

More details on the assembly process--which was not without its challenges & idiosyncrasies--to follow....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I installed the pickups with an Oak Grigsby 4-way blade switch and wired it so that I get the two pickups in series in the 4th switch position. Works like a charm--gives you that second position Tele tone, but thicker, darker and louder.

I was uninterested in this mod until you described the sound you get out of it. Particularly that it's louder than the regular second position. I may just wire the second position for series if that's what it does! (ETA: I think I like the toggle switch idea even more.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:16 pm 

This Frank Stefanko photo (from the 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' photo session, 1978) proves that blue paisley is ROCK'N'ROLL!!! (Boss-haters need not comment! :twisted: )

Attachment:
paisley_Boss.jpg
paisley_Boss.jpg [ 66.31 KiB | Viewed 3153 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 am 

Great work! Makes me want to pull the trigger on a GFS body.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:23 pm 

Update on this Tele build:

After playing the guitar for awhile, I noticed two things that weren't quite right: The high E had a distinct "plink" to it when plucked open, and I could hear some intonation issues on chords with open strings. I decided that both problems were likely due to problems with the nut slotting. Since it was a brand new neck, I had no idea if the slots had been properly cut and angled--I suspected that the neck had just had some "guide slots" cut into it to hold the strings at the proper spacing, since the strings were sitting pretty high up off the fretboard.

StewMac recently sent out some holiday coupons by e-mail to previous customers, and I received one worth $15. So I checked out their nut slotting files and bought the "medium" sized set (0.010 - 0.046") for $55 after applying the coupon. Not cheap, but all their stuff is top quality, from what I've seen, and this file set certainly seemed to me to be worth having on hand, since I have a bunch of electric guitars and nearly all of them are strung with "10's."

Without going through the full process of measuring and cutting the slots to the optimum depth, I just filed each slot gently, maintaining the initial depth at the front of the nut but angling the file back to cut the slots deeper at the rear. This insures that there's a single contact point for each string and that it's at the very front edge of the nut.

Holy moley, what a difference!! This simple 15 minute job completely cleared up any audible issues, at least to my pedestrian ears--no more "plink" on the open high E, and chords with open strings sound sweet and true. At some point, I'll go through the more detailed filing process to optimize the depth of the slots, but for now, I'm just enjoying the tonal improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 pm 

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear of your success. Ain't it nice when a planned fix actually works?