Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 pm 

Hey all,
Haven't posted here in a couple years I think, but I just took a gamble on Guitar Fetish's "Factory Buyout Clearance Sale" section and bought a set neck 335 style guitar for $99 (plus $20 shipping).

I just got in from FedEx today and I have to say it looks great. It is like this one except black:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Set-Neck-Sp ... 26063.html

Bound neck and body, no gouges or nicks in the body. Just add hardware, pickups, etc.

Hopefully the neck is fine, but so far I'm thrilled. It is labeled "Vintage" on the headstock and on the back "John Hornby Skewes". Here is there website:
https://www.jhs.co.uk/products/guitars- ... -acoustics

So, just in case anyone was on the fence thinking about one of these for a mostly built guitar project, mine looks very good.

Take care.

Attachments:
IMG_3850.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG [ 326.44 KiB | Viewed 7841 times ]
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG [ 425.32 KiB | Viewed 7841 times ]
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG [ 651.23 KiB | Viewed 7841 times ]

Last edited by Scott C on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:22 pm 

And, I'm open to suggestions on pickups, and hardware finish (black vs, chrome).

I've got GFS Dream 90s (P-90s) in another guitar that I may put into this one, but like I said, open to suggestions.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:55 am 

Whoa, there's some interesting stuff in there. The ES-175 style is tempting…

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:29 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Whoa, there's some interesting stuff in there. The ES-175 style is tempting…

Yup. You just need to look at the photos carefully - make sure the neck has frets and a nut, make sure that reflection on the body isn't really a gouge in the body.

On the set neck I bought, the photos looked like the back of the body had a splatter look of paint chips (15 or 20 small white chips). Turned out, it was just drops of polishing compound (I hope it is polishing compund :shock: ). So, I got lucky.

EDIT: Photos added to top post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 pm 

Picked up a metallic blue 335 myself and it’s in quite good condition. A few small scuffs on the finish that I should be able to buff out either entirely or pretty close to it. I’m thinking of trying the varitone mod wiring scheme on it as I don’t tend to use multiple volume or tone controls.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:02 am 

Scott C wrote:
And, I'm open to suggestions on pickups, and hardware finish (black vs, chrome).

I've got GFS Dream 90s (P-90s) in another guitar that I may put into this one, but like I said, open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Currently planning on black hardware (tuners, bridge, tail piece), with cream colored knobs.

Maybe black pickups with cream rings?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

Some progress.

Measured, measured, then measured again, then drilled the holes for the stop piece. Then measured for the bridge (roller bridge) and drilled those.

Since the wiring is going to be a pain, I am thinking of trying GuitarFteish's GFS pickups with "Kwikplugs". Any reason not to?

The guitar plays well, neck seems fine, sounds fine. The nut seems a little tall, so fretting strings on those first couple frets is harder than it should be. But for $99 + $20 shipping, + a tail piece and bridge I already had, I'm happy.

Thanks.

Oh, the orange strings were some freebies from Musician's friend or somewhere. They work nice when your only concern is the alignment of the strings to the neck (like when assembling a guitar).

Attachments:
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG [ 184.85 KiB | Viewed 7704 times ]
IMG_3860.JPG
IMG_3860.JPG [ 910.32 KiB | Viewed 7704 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:48 pm 

Oh wow, that’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm 

Quote:
The nut seems a little tall, so fretting strings on those first couple frets is harder than it should be.

StewMac has a nice toolset for setting the height of yours strings in the nut: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Nuts_and_Saddles/Safe_Slot_Nut_Guard_Complete_Set.html You don't need this if you have some feeler gauges and some rubber bands :) just follow their instructions and you can do this easily (assuming you have some files)...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 pm 

I have one of those 335’s as well and I picked up a GFS kwikplug harness for it but so far, I’m having one problem - the f holes are extremely small and I can quite finagle the knobs in there! Even other knobs I have don’t quite want to make it. I could get by with pedal-sized pots but I don’t really want to do that if I don’t have to. I’ll keep trying to see if I can figure out the magic angle to get them through...

On a related note, the kwikplug harness seems really good. I got the one with coil splitting as well to give me some additional tone options.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 am 

Quote:
the f holes are extremely small and I can quite finagle the knobs in there!

Try this: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Electronics_and_Pickups/Archtop_Guitar_Helping_Hand.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:00 am 

slacker775 wrote:
I have one of those 335’s as well and I picked up a GFS kwikplug harness for it but so far, I’m having one problem - the f holes are extremely small and I can quite finagle the knobs in there! Even other knobs I have don’t quite want to make it. I could get by with pedal-sized pots but I don’t really want to do that if I don’t have to. I’ll keep trying to see if I can figure out the magic angle to get them through...

On a related note, the kwikplug harness seems really good. I got the one with coil splitting as well to give me some additional tone options.

I haven't found a way to get standard size pots thru the "f" holes either. I ordered smaller pots.

I also ordered the Kwikplugs for this guitar. I think it is a perfect application for them. Once I get the jack, switch, and pots in there, I don't ever want to have to take them out. I'm going with a GFS Dream 90 in the neck, and an Dream 180 I already have for the bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 am 

Scott C wrote:
The nut seems a little tall, so fretting strings on those first couple frets is harder than it should be.

I found this same thing with the nut on the GFS neck I bought recently for my paisley Tele project. I suspect that they intentionally leave the nut tall to avoid string buzzing on those lower frets. But you can always cut the slots a little deeper (if you know how to do that properly), or remove the nut and sand a bit off the bottom.

I also have the "Kwikplug" hookups in the Neovin noiseless pickups I installed in the guitar--it's a nice convenience and is working very well for me.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Scott C wrote:

I found this same thing with the nut on the GFS neck I bought recently for my paisley Tele project. I suspect that they intentionally leave the nut tall to avoid string buzzing on those lower frets. But you can always cut the slots a little deeper (if you know how to do that properly), or remove the nut and sand a bit off the bottom.

I also have the "Kwikplug" hookups in the Neovin noiseless pickups I installed in the guitar--it's a nice convenience and is working very well for me.

Yup. My plan is to remove the nut and shave/sand/file some off the bottom since the "highness" of the nut is consistent across all strings.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm 

I'm kinda getting attached to these goofy orange strings. :shock:

Got it all wired up and put together. Just need to add the strap buttons and put some real strings on it.

Now, to play it some and figure out the tone of this thing.

The cream knobs aren't that bright and glowing, just an effect of the camera flash. I just don't like the gold knobs seen on many black and cream guitars.

Attachments:
IMG_3926 reduced.jpg
IMG_3926 reduced.jpg [ 384.31 KiB | Viewed 7433 times ]

Last edited by Scott C on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

Classy!

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 am 

Very sweet. I prefer chrome hardware myself but love those cream knobs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am 

Very nice! And I must admit to kind of liking those orange strings on a black guitar!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:10 pm 

I actually grew to like the orange strings too, but removed them. They are great when lining up a neck, etc., so they will be my "shop strings".

Here is a finished shot (with normal strings), and with a couple very crude sketches for pickguards. What do you think? No pickguard, cream, or black? I am leaning towards cream.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Pickguard options.png
Pickguard options.png [ 587.68 KiB | Viewed 7302 times ]
Semi hollow 4.jpg
Semi hollow 4.jpg [ 316.33 KiB | Viewed 7302 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:17 pm 

Nice! I think I would go with cream, provided you can match the pickup rings. If not, black.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:01 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Nice! I think I would go with cream, provided you can match the pickup rings. If not, black.

Thanks. I think I agree. One of the things I learned with this is that there are about 50 shades of cream, unfortunately.