Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Martin pickers part two
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 pm 

So, in relation to the first Martin pickers thread I guess it brings up a couple other questions I have for you guys for a guy like me. By 'a guy like me' I mean I've read hundreds of threads about you guys changing out guitars and or having so many you have a one in one out rule now etc... That is not me so I don't have the experience you guys have with getting new, or used, guitars. Yes, I'm jealous.

So my first question is what kind of hesitation do you guys have buying used acoustics? My mind begins to think about all the less than careful people I know with things they own let alone something as delicate, when dropped of course on it's neck, as a nice acoustic. This can occur either though good old fashioned human error or maybe someone has partaken in some substances ( I don't mean to imply that musicians do this 8) and they are not quite on their game while walking and talking with a guitar in their hand or whatever. I'm more of a cynic and can't help but be scared off buying a used acoustic. Someone talk me out of this mindset.

My other question relates to buying acoustic guitars on line. But let me phrase it this way. I'm guessing there are 2 schools of thought maybe? One is I would never buy a guitar I haven't actually played, and I mean the guitar itself not just the model of said guitar. I suppose a subset of that school of thought might be, I'm fine with not actually playing the guitar I'm buying but I would at least play the model of said guitar before I search for a better deal on line? Two, no worries, buy one on line as long as it has what you want etc.. etc... If you are of the first school of thought and or its subset and that is your advice then that relegates me to only buying a guitar that I can locate locally so I can play it. I figure this significantly limits my choices compared to what I can find on line. If you are of the second school of thought then Katy bar the doors as the sky is the limit.

I'm most interested in your advice as to how you navigate those concerns and thoughts as you've bought yours.

Muchas gracias amigos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 pm 

Buying a used acoustic is easier, IMO, than buying a used electric. Any structural damage is usually a lot more evident on an acoustic than on an electric. It's easy to hear a sprung brace, easy to spot a repaired crack. Those things can't hide on a thin-walled wooden box that is under high tension from strings :)

Buying an acoustic online: it depends on the guitar. I have bought a Taylor Mini and a Martin Mini Dreadnought online. The tone with those is what it is, no major differences piece to piece. A higher end guitar is a different story; could sound glorious but there is no bond. Not that different from an electric in that sense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:03 pm 

Buying an electric guitar online is tough enough.

Buying an acoustic guitar online is complete insanity.

I don't care if the seller has a complete return policy, I don't care if the shipping company stands behind their service 100%. Nothing is more heartbreaking than opening up a shipping box and finding a busted up guitar. When the guitar in question is an acoustic guitar, the odds go up considerably that something is going to happen to it on the way to you.

In general a quality electric guitar will tolerate being thrown around by the shipping company much more easily than an acoustic guitar.

Beyond all this, for me personally enjoying an acoustic guitar is an intimate experience. The feel and the feedback from a quality acoustic instrument is something you have to experience in person before you throw down your hard-earned money.

Electric guitars are different.
I haven't shopped for a new guitar in many years but when I did I never plugged in an electric guitar when shopping for one.
This is because I can make it sound anyway I want to with new pick ups, different hardware etc.
An acoustic guitar pretty much sounds and feels the way it's going to feel right away.
Allowing of course for how a quality acoustic guitar will "open up" over time.

There is no way I would buy an acoustic guitar over the Internet.
There is no deal sweet enough to coax me into such a thing.
I have to get my hands on it. I have to feel it.
In the case of a Martin I have to smell it. There is no sweeter smell than those cedar braces.
Do not deny yourself the experience of assaulting all your senses at once with a quality acoustic guitar selected in person.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the input.

Scooter, I will jam my nose in that sound hole and take a huge whiff in your honor :D