Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NTMGDLT
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:37 pm 

New-to-me guitar day last Thursday.

I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink to excess. I don't gamble, chase women, or drive Italian sports cars. But I do buy way too many guitars. Here's the latest, a near-mint 2016 G&L Tribute Series ASAT Special. I've been looking for a good deal on a used one for a few months, after listening to a couple of video demos on YouTube. I came across this one on Reverb.com about a week ago; it was priced too high, but I made a reasonable offer and it was accepted.

Received it last Thursday and played it quite a bit over the weekend. Very pleased with how it plays and sounds. Nice rosewood neck with a satin finish, not too thin and very comfortable to play. Smooth tuners and very solid feeling controls. It's a little on the heavy side for a T-style guitar, with a solid swamp ash body, but not excessively so. But my favorite feature by far is the G&L "Magnetic Field Design" (MFD) jumbo single coil pickup set, which have a rich, full sound with great clarity and a nice deep bass end. They're reminiscent of P90's but with better bass and a brighter top end. The bridge pickup can be a bit biting, but rolling off the treble control a tad takes care of that nicely. And the neck pickup is among the best I've ever heard in a single coil guitar.

It's a very attractive guitar, as well, with a transparent dark blue burst finish and a while pearloid pickguard. Photos below.

Attachment:
ASAT_Special_full.jpg
ASAT_Special_full.jpg [ 63.58 KiB | Viewed 5972 times ]

Attachment:
ASAT_Special_body.jpg
ASAT_Special_body.jpg [ 88.2 KiB | Viewed 5972 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

Post subject: Re: NTMGDLT
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:19 pm 

Asat blues boy. That’s awesome man. I love my classics and my tribute. Guitars are my vice as well, but hey, it’s investing.....right???[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 pm 

jimilee wrote:
Asat blues boy.

Nope, it's a ASAT Special. But I do have a Bluesboy semihollow that I got off eBay about 5 years ago. Love that one, too:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 pm 

Very sweet. I would send that pickup out for a rewind, and the guitar would be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 am 

My bad. Looks great too. I’m going to wire one of my classics like a Baja this week.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 am 

Cool, nice addition to the collection! Reminds me I have a couple NGD posts to make…

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am 

Always thought the ASAT were cool. G&L in general appeal to me visually. If I were in the market for a strat I’d buy a G&L over a Fender for example.

Beauty guitar there Voodoo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 pm 

Was playing this Tribute ASAT Special at length today through a Joyo AC Tone into my Hot Rod Deluxe. Lawdy, it sounds FINE! I can't say enough good things about these MFD jumbo single coils. I also spent a little time adjusting the saddles heights to lower the action a bit and match the neck radius more closely than it was set up when I got it. Played good before, plays even better now. These are a great buy at $500 new, but you can find used ones in excellent-to-mint shape on Reverb.com under $400 pretty routinely. If you like T-style guitars, you owe it to yourself to check out one of these sweet thangs!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 am 

Great looking guitar, and its always nice to hear someone be so happy with a guitar they own.

I had a G&L strat way back, for a short time. I liked how it played and sounded, but I was young and I think I subconsciously thought it wasn't as cool as my strat or LP. I stupidly got rid of it. I now believe that if you love both how guitar plays and sounds, you should never let go of it, regardless. Wish I had done that with several pieces of gear.

duhvoodooman wrote:
I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink to excess. I don't gamble, chase women, or drive Italian sports cars.
Okay, this sounds like the beginning of many a guitarist's reply, after their spouse has just asked "You already have several guitars! Why do you need another one?"
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:09 pm 

hylandren wrote:
Okay, this sounds like the beginning of many a guitarist's reply, after their spouse has just asked "You already have several guitars! Why do you need another one?"

Possible answers:

1) But they all sound different!
2) This is the LAST one I'm gonna buy. (You can only use this one once.)
3) Do I criticize your 100 (200? 300?) pairs of shoes?
4) I'm nicer when I'm happy, and guitars make me happy.

Feel free to add more....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 pm 

hylandren wrote:
Great looking guitar, and its always nice to hear someone be so happy with a guitar they own.

I had a G&L strat way back, for a short time. I liked how it played and sounded, but I was young and I think I subconsciously thought it wasn't as cool as my strat or LP. I stupidly got rid of it. I now believe that if you love both how guitar plays and sounds, you should never let go of it, regardless. Wish I had done that with several pieces of gear.

duhvoodooman wrote:
I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink to excess. I don't gamble, chase women, or drive Italian sports cars.
:mrgreen:

Because I don’t have that one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:21 pm 

jimilee wrote:
hylandren wrote:

Because I don’t have that one.

Simple, direct, inarguable. I like it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:09 am 

Sometimes I wish my wife bought lots of shoes. :mrgreen: She did recently become more interested in bicycles, and when she suggested she might like a second one that does different things, I practically dragged her down to the bike shop to buy it. We're still several bikes away from parity, however…

My band, Austin Hollow